The Slingshot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Primitive Weapons Enthusiast
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a regular Dust Mask? Or is a respirator type of mask needed?

Let me know what you guys use.
I will be in a well ventilated area while cutting and sanding.
But I've heard HDPE dust is toxic.

Thanks

·
Administrator
10,889 Posts
I have a respirator and use it for everything. A particle mask should do though.

·
Primitive Weapons Enthusiast
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotcha! Yeah I figured just a regular particle dust mask should be all I would need.

Thanks for the reply bud:)

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Problem with those paper dust masks is leakage. I'd go right a a N95 Respirator. Why muck about. They seal well to your face and come in sizes to get the right fit. For the relative low cost of them, just go with one. North or 3M are the two main brands in N.Amer.

·
Slinger of Shots
2,070 Posts
I'd also go for a respirator with changeable filters. Those dust masks are good for a visit to the attic, but not for serious sanding.

·
Premium Member
6,102 Posts
I am using something like this (especially when working with exotic wood that I don't know good) for 15€:

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
if you use these for an extended period +30 minutes, you will experience a dry nose and sore throat. You need to be deliberately slow and deep with your breathing(inhale and exhale). If not you will give yourself a sore throat. Also store mask in two bags. and the bag that hold the resparator place a dissecant packet. You don't want to store the mask in the dark coupled with sweat from resparation, mold with accumulate. Also when checking your mask for integrity, once on breath in deep. If you feel cool are around nose, your top head loop is not right enough. Same with bottom.

The respirator with the P100 filters: P100 means oil proof for "P" and 100 refers to it being 99.97% efficient for particles .3 microns or bigger. the 3 one with the organic vapor filters (gray section) is a N95 front filter N= Not oil proof and 95=95% efficient for particles .3 microns or bigger. The first 3 are definitely useable for COVID-19. I know. I've fit tested over 450 medical workers for their respirators and masks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts