Have the idea of having a made manzanita slingshot

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by Xander_Cage3, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Xander_Cage3

Xander_Cage3 New Member

Hey I got a whole cord of the strongest tree wood on the planet. The tree is called Manzanita tree. Me and my great uncle were sitting in his backyard forest of manzanita while watching the slingshot channel on my phone. My great uncle had the great idea of "this "maker of a slingshot" is so cool I would like him to try making a couple of slingshots out of manzanita." I would be so stoked if the slingshot channel can make a slingshot out of manzanita trees. He can ship it to him the wood, he already has cords of manzanita wood ready. My uncle just wants to know when he can ship too and where and to what address. This is from my great uncle's request if me and my great uncle could have two slingshots back but have a the slingshot channel logo on the handle. That would be awesome for the both of us. He wants to know if you would be interested "slingshot maker" please reply back, and see if your interested in getting more, the manzanita trees come from Northern California.

2. artons

artons New Member

wow, manzanita is an incredible wood, it has very beautiful grain.
    i'm a little curious, this is a sort of exchange?
    if I understand correctly your uncle sends some natural fork to someone for having in exchange one ot two slingshot with the slingshotchannel logo?

3. Xander_Cage3

Xander_Cage3 New Member

Not Really, my uncle had the idea of sending the slingshot guy (I totally forgot his name again) Manzanita cords, like the branch thick like ones that we can cut down to size (all sizes needed to be known and when and what address we can ship it to). when the slingshot guy is able to make three slingshots. My uncle is requesting that the slingshot guy can send back two for me and my uncle with his logo of the slingshot channel on the hilt. So my uncle and I, don't want any different other slingshot, we just want to see his work of slingshot art, and see if my uncle likes it (he is not easy to impress) and if we get a request from him or other people on the slingshot channel Forum on my post, than we are thankful for the great requests only the cords of the tree not all made into one. That's the challenge for the people that wants the manzanita tree cord.

4. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member

So I'm gonna assume you mean Joerg, the big guy that runs the SS Channel. I'm unclear as to what you mean by "Cords"? There is a cord of wood, usually used in reference to firewood, but I'm sure that's not what you meant. So are you meaning a raw, single branch, just cut from the main tree, or a branch in the shape of a "Y", or a raw chunk of wood, like a chunk of firewood, or an actual cut and milled/ dimensioned( cut to look like a piece of wood you'd buy at the store) piece of wood? Maybe pictures of the pieces you have?
    IMHO asking to send three pieces of wood and in return he sends you two finished sling shots is not much of a fair trade, but I speak only for myself. :)

5. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

making two slingshots, with logos, etc to get a fork? nice deal. plus i dont like your attidude young friend.

6. Xander_Cage3

Xander_Cage3 New Member

me or the "Burt the Wielder" guy I'm confused??
    My great uncle just wants to know if Joerg would be interested into having three the raw thick branch cord of manzanita to make slingshots, but in return of making three manzanita slingshots, my great uncle has a request of seeing Joerg's work in person holding two slingshots in his hand with the slingshot channel logo on the handle. Joerg can have the third one of his choosing. And if he or anyone after him wants to make one themselves with manzanita wood than by all means feel free to ask me. I just need to know how much and what address to deliver it too.

7. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

Allergic reaction against "manzanita", guess why :D

8. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

Thats pointless. Do you have an idea how much Time it takes to make a nice looking slingshot? And you want two of them, for a fork? You know, its Not even the trade, its the way you Ask.

9. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  10. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I think he is having a comunication problem with the laguage. But I agree that it's not cool to join Jörg's forum and keep calling him "the slingshot guy".

11. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I think maybe someone has become confused somewhere (like myself!). I'm sure you have no intention of shipping 3 cords of manzanita wood all the way to Germany. Just based on weight alone, that would be similar to shipping 2.5 small cars over there, if I've done my math correctly (doubtful...). Either way, I do think there is a language issue involved. I'm only taking a guess here, but do we have someone fluent in maybe Spanish that can help out? Brazilviking, do you speak Spanish as well as Brazilian Portuguese? Again, this is only a guess and I certainly don't want to offend anyone, but Spanish is the only other common language in Northern California.

12. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member

I agree that the terminology is being lost in translation. I'm sure his "cord" isn't referring to to a fore mentioned "cord of wood", if it is, he's in for a shock when the shipping bill comes, and, yeah, then the trade is in Joergs favour. But I think, Xander, your asking a heck of a lot for three chunks of wood. And I'd have to agree with Tyson, not the best manners given you're new, but I'm sure it's not your intention at all. It's Joergs call as the offer is to him, otherwise, not our concern and for the sake of the politeness rule, further comments likely going to get unpleasant. :);)

13. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

I was thinking about the values that we're talking about, so I did a few calculations:

I found a manzanita fork for 35€, that's 105€ for three forks.

I don't know exactly how long it takes other slingshooters to make a SS,
    but for me, it's between 4 and 10 hours(for a GOOD slingshot).
    So with 20€ per hour ONE slingshot costs at least 100€.
    The trade is ~200€ <=> ~105€.

For the cords, I found a price of ~92000€:eek:
    (2m branch with 10cm diameter => 0.0078m²
    A cord equals 3.62m³, so with a length of 2m that makes 1.81m² => ~230 branches(2m length)
    230*400€(for one branch) = ~92000€
    => 3cords eqal 276000€)

I think we can exclude the "3 cord"-possibility.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  14. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Wow! Manzanita is very expensive elsewhere apparently! Its basically a weed around here, and many farmers and land owners in the hills will cut it down all the time. Its a bad fire hazard because of its oils.

15. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

16. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

@Will: The prices were found on german websites.

17. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I did not understand the "conditions" that way. I usually return one finished slingshot in return for three great forks. A "great fork" is one that I can work on. It must be thick enough for my heavy carving.

Most forks people send me won't ever make it into a slingshot, as people often send me very thin ones. I need 3 inches as a stem diameter, 4 is even better. Can't carve out a good design from the normal naturals that have just one inch stems. Useless.

I never put logos on my handles, and won't return two forks either. So if that is the condition, no thanks.

18. Fabian

Fabian New Member

however this post does spark my curiosity, as to what kind of SS's Joerg would make out of manzanita.

19. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

Joerg is able, i think, to terminate a contract when it is unclear or misunderstanding.