Hatchets - Fiskars or Husqvarna?

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by VWscooby, Mar 5, 2014.

1. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I was toying with the idea of buying a small, cheap hatchet to use for a little bit of bushcraft, light chopping/splitting/carving duties and portioning up bird food.

I wanted something low cost and reliable. I narrowed down to the Fiskars/Gerber hatchets (I can't quite decide between X5 or X7) and the Husqvarna hand hatchet.

Both have their pros and cons but wondered if anyone owns either or if there are any different ones in the £25-£40 ($40-$60) bracket you would recommend?

2. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Have you heard of Hultafors?

3. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

Hultafors is a good choice, they have cheap newer designs and also oldschool designs but those are more expensive. Also I would go for husquarna before Fiskars, because if i remember correctly Weterlings makes the axes for husquarna. But even a fiskar hatchet isnt bad, but generally they are too overpriced, at least here in our country.

4. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I've been looking to get a second hatchet for a while as backup (two is one, one is none). currently I have a very cheap $10 hatchet from the local hardware store. works a treat. I was looking at the Fiskars/Gerber line but they are a bit too expensive for what they are.

personally, I prefer a wooden handle as they tend to transfer less shock to your arm (and they can easily be replaced). I also like a hatchet to have a decent flat face on the back of it to use as a hammer if need be (in case I lose my hammer).
    I also believe that a hatchet has to have a decent weight, It's nice that they make lightweight hatchets if your going to be carrying them all day, but if you actually need to use it for something more than sharpening a pencil its going to take a bit more effort if its too light.

take what I say with a pinch of salt though, just my thoughts on the matter

5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

After a quick Google I have ;)

I did see their mini hatchet on a site a while back and discounted it on price. It wasn't that much over but Im stubborn once Ive set a budget! Looking at the range though there are some nice ones in budget and I like the idea of the hand forged head.

I agree with JohnKrakatoa and Obl1v1Aus that the Fiskars are up there on price but all reviews point to them really lasting well. Plus I like the composite construction and teflon coating. When prepping bird food it can get messy and synthetics are easier to clean and disinfect although wood does have more 'soul' and easier to replace.

Agree with the hammer thing. Thats why I discounted the Bear Grylls survival hatchet (apart from the fact I can't stand Bear Grylls but thats a different thread!) that was recommended to me. As far as weight goes for what I will be using it for about 450g (1lb) should be fine. If I end up needing to regularly chop wood for a woodburner or whatever then Ill get something more suitable.

I used to have a very cheap Draper brand hatchet a few years back and it did everything pretty well for less than £10 but just fancied something a little flashier I guess :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I have an X7. No complaints. It's well built, nice handle, good balance and came nice and sharp. It seems to hold an edge well - that's the only real complaint I've heard about the Fiskars. But so far, I don't see it.

By the way, I don't know what they sell for across the pond, but an X7 can be had from Amazon for $25usd with free shipping. Seems a reasonable price based on others I looked at.

7. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

the X7 is $80 here unless I get one on ebay then thy range from $40 and up

8. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

I have the fliskars axe. Basically the x7 with a long handle. It is the tool used for butchering chickens when the time comes. I'll just say it gets the job done well. It is crazy sharp!

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Yikes!

10. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

not what I would say, but due to forum rules I can't type what I said

11. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Gerber blades are well made, just don't hold an edge for anything. Personally I would go with the other brand.

12. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Scoobs, I was given the Gerber hatchet for a wedding gift in '05, I've done my best to ruin the lil bastard! I've failed miserably, the blade is still sharp as hell and I chop kindling and small oak rounds nearly daily. I bury it deep as possible then beat it with a heavy oak stick to bust up 7-10" oak and alder rounds. You will not be dissatisfied with it in the least, that fiskars blade is damn durable and the belt sheath that comes with it is top notch.

13. JohnKrakatoa

Actually wood kills of bacteria, so still better then a plastic composite I actually have a fiskars smal hatchet ( its not the new series its black whole ) but only because it was a gift I personally like wood too much so I wouldnt buy it myself. What I dont like is that the hollow handle makes a loud sound when you chop. And the edge is nothing fancy but ok. But it certainly isnt an axe bevel, juat a straight one.
    I would go with Hultafors if you can. Or other hand forged head with a wooden handle from Sweden xD

14. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies and advice, much appreciated!

Looking at prices in other countries Ive noticed something strange with the Fiskars. In the US they are cheaper and come with a lifetime guarantee. In Europe its a 1yr guarantee despite being made over here! Very strange. Oh, and in case anyone is interested here is a price comparison (If you got one as a present dont look ;) )

Fiskars X5 - £30 ($50)
    Fiskars X7 - £28 ($46)

Husqvarna hand hatchet- £24 ($40)

Hultafors mini trekking - £44 ($73)

The Hultafors may be a nice axe but is nearly double the price of the Husqvarna, I could get a larger one for a little less but I did want something compact.

Hmmmm, Ill have a think. Thanks again everyone for the input :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  15. JohnKrakatoa

if that husquarna isnt that extra mini micro with a short handle , and goes with the leather sheath, then jump on it! That should be handforged too by wetterlings.

Edit: i thought the pruce for hultafirs trekking was too high and searched and found it for 20£, his is a winner.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001J2FIM8/ref=pd_aw_sbs_1?pi=SS115

Maybe you were looking at the oldschool model with the head with "ears"... which go for more. They call it classic.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002GKC0VE/ref=pd_aw_sims_5?pi=SL500_SS115

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  16. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I went with the 7$ harbor freight version. When it arrived the sides, etc looked great.

Edge looked round, blunt, not quite pencil sized, but not capable of cutting either.
    A couple of hours worth of work later and it is ready for warmer weather and testing.
    Cuts paper nicely.

I used a combination of 4 &1/2 inch angle grinder, file, Carbide V sharpener, then diamond hone block.

It still has a few grinder scars, but they won't slow it down much. And if I have to reshapen it often, well at 7$ you won't hear me complain about it.

17. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

JohnKrakatoa, I think the Husqvarna is the smallest one they do (9 inches long iirc). Nice find on the Hultafors, looks like I was indeed looking at the Classic. I actually prefer the look of the handle shape on the cheaper one :)

GhostH, Yup I could go and get a Draper for £10 which is a very nice all steel hatchet for the price or if I went into town I could get an Am-tech one for £6 that would do the job after some work. The thing is I just fancied something with a 'name' frankly because Im a bit of a tart! ;)

Ive had two vehicle tax bills, a council tax bill and an MOT reminder all land on my mat this morning (death and taxes right?) so toys, even cheap ones, will have to wait for a couple of weeks. Lots of good advice though :) Thats what I like about this forum, no matter the subject there is someone that can help! :)

18. FilipNilssob

FilipNilssob Lactose is my Kryptonite

Swedish steel, Husqvarna Hultafors. Is a great choice, I've had a Hultafors and I was impressed!

My slingshot will shoot slingshots!