Handle wrap Micarta Rambone Tutorial video

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by The Art Of Weapons, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Hello everyone
    i hope that you enjoy this video!
    please post any questions that you have below!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCF01eQF5FY[/ame]

2. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

That is really smart. Did you think of that method yourself? It looks a lot better than just micarta

3. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

finally, lets watch ☺

watched: first time i saw someone wrap the layers of material around something when making micarta. very clever and kinda logical xD seems you use your head better and more often then i do.
    But i would think that if one would ommit the thick rope and only use very flexible/thin cloth/paper/etc the result would be woodlike and much finer.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  4. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

5. thanks guys
    also JohnKrakatoa i think that the string adds to the pattern but next time i might use a different colour

6. OzzyOsborne

OzzyOsborne New Member

raising the bar - brilliant

7. thanks man!

8. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Very cool!

I like the color contrast on the wrap, and the wrap idea is a great idea.

The only thing that I noticed was the nail provides plenty of stability but only one direction. I worry that the nail could twist in the wood. using two nails spaced apart a little bit would prevent twisting between the handle and fork.

9. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I like the agate look of the micarta handle. nice work.

10. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

I knew it reminded me of something. It really does look like a chunk of polished agate. :cool:

Awesome work, AoW. :cool:

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Looks like I missed this one the first time too. Wow, what a great job you did on this TAOW. I never cease to be amazed at the level of projects you attempt. I know it's been said before, but you certainly sound wise beyond your years. Your attention to all of the details, from the planning to materials to all the safety steps and the time to record, narrate and edit is really astonishing. Very nice work on this piece. This is the first time I've ever seen 'wrapped' micarta. I guess it's finally time for me to try working with this stuff myself. Well done.

12. jurassicbark2000

jurassicbark2000 jurassicbark2000

Vorsprung durch Technik

British engineering at its best in other words ????? well done young chap

13. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

The "polished stone" also reminds me of those trippy patterns derived from fractal equations.
    The color scheme is just gorgeous, too.

I was wondering how much shaping you might eliminate by making a two-piece mold of the handle that fits in your vise?

"Painting"in reverse, like a store window artist, you pack the mold with the wrap design you want to end up with. Then fill the rest of the cavity with filler layers. The mold would hold the core metal centered for you, etc. Just thinking out loud.

Your videos always get my mind firing on fun crazy ideas, keep up the good work man.

14. Thanks
    Buckshot500 I dont think that the handle could twist because it would take lots of force and when you draw out the slingshot there is no twisting force

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

15. PaulPawx3

PaulPawx3 Member

TAOW just want to say you do awesome work. Watching your videos it is very easy to see you have a great attention to detail. I like the way you lay things out before you start. Truly a man with a plan. Thanks for taking your time to share your art with others. You are a true craftsman. Great Job. ;)

16. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member

Super awesomeness!!! Brilliant combining the layers of yarn and cloth!
    In the event that twisting does rear its head, a simple bend in the nail would be an ease cure. Threaded rod would be good too.