The Slingshot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I was hoping you could help me out. I underestimated how hard it would be to make a handle for my blade. I'd like any advice on anything from specific tools to use effectively, techniques, material and shape. I started out trying to make it on my own but I wasn't happy with the look and I scrapped it. I think I want it to be mahogany wood but I'm not even sure anymore. I just could really use some help as someone who doesn't normally craft handles and things but does want to learn as a hobby. Also I'm not sure if this image will show but I'll add the text link as well. https://imgur.com/a/r2Mjy

·
Slinger of Shots
2,070 Posts
excuse me, but what in the name of [insert deity here] is this? :eek:

as for the handle, use (for each side) a layer of rather thin plastic in a bright color and then one or two layers of a nice wood. cut out the handle shape a exactly as possible. thoroughly plane the surfaces before glueing and drill the holes for the pins seperately for every layer, using the hande itself as a template.
use a good 2 component epoxi glue, give it enough time to cure and then have fun shaping and rounding the handle with a rasp, a file and sanding paper from coarse to fine.

as this is a rather dark blade, I'd recommend a bright red for the plastic and then either a very dark wood or a very light wood.

just as you please.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
excuse me, but what in the name of [insert deity here] is this? :eek:

as for the handle, use (for each side) a layer of rather thin plastic in a bright color and then one or two layers of a nice wood. cut out the handle shape a exactly as possible. thoroughly plane the surfaces before glueing and drill the holes for the pins seperately for every layer, using the hande itself as a template.
use a good 2 component epoxi glue, give it enough time to cure and then have fun shaping and rounding the handle with a rasp, a file and sanding paper from coarse to fine.

as this is a rather dark blade, I'd recommend a bright red for the plastic and then either a very dark wood or a very light wood.

just as you please.
It's Damascus. Is there something wrong with it? Also just wondering the purpose of the red plastic? Thanks for the help!

·
Slinger of Shots
2,070 Posts
nah, I referred to the odd shape of the blade.

the purpose of the plastic? just as an optical contrast.

upload_2018-1-26_10-57-55.jpeg

oh, and when glueing the whole handle...use enough pressure to ensure a storng connection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

View attachment 39258

oh, and when glueing the whole handle...use enough pressure to ensure a storng connection.
Aaah I see and yeah it's a bit odd but I like it. It's a hand made Damascus sword. Got it for under $100 and it's legit so I really can't complain. There is a more blunt part. I think I can just grind that sharp though. I'm excited to get the handle on and try it out. Also should I put a stain on it or something else?

·
Slinger of Shots
2,070 Posts
the blunt part is kinda strange. even for a recurved blade like this...but i'd rather not grind that blade...

coating? depending on the wood...
personally I prefer oil and wax coating for wooden handles. there's plenty of advice on those 'round here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the blunt part is kinda strange. even for a recurved blade like this...but i'd rather not grind that blade...

coating? depending on the wood...
personally I prefer oil and wax coating for wooden handles. there's plenty of advice on those 'round here.
You don't think sharpening that part is worth it? I think it wouldn't look so odd. I think it would allow the blade to penetrate more in a chopping motion. But hey I'm no expert on blades so I'm not sure if that would ruin the blade or not. I just need more wood, epoxy, and the oil. Then I'll be set to start on it again.

·
Slinger of Shots
2,070 Posts
I'm no blade expert either but I'd rather not ruin it by accident.

have fun making a cool handle and don't forget to post pic's of the process

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm no blade expert either but I'd rather not ruin it by accident.

have fun making a cool handle and don't forget to post pic's of the process
Will do! Thanks for all the help. And if anyone has any other suggestions about the handle or the blade please let me know

·
Registered
24 Posts

View attachment 39258

lets say if one does not wants to use glue, can the handle be attached just by pins, lets say the plan is to use 2 pins with glue, but can use 3 to 4 pins and no glue, would that not be a strong hold?

·
Registered
155 Posts
U can glue without having Pins
Or
Make Pins without glueing but then u have to hammer a Kind of head on the Pins, therefore use copper Pins ...and have lots of light hammer thrusts... Having a non brittle top Material doing these rivets.
Works on antler , but what s left will be an ugly handle if there is gap between the Materials- so Please,
Get the Pins in,
Glue it all together,
Done

·
1,543 Posts
lets say if one does not wants to use glue, can the handle be attached just by pins, lets say the plan is to use 2 pins with glue, but can use 3 to 4 pins and no glue, would that not be a strong hold?
pins use glue for stability as well. if you want to avoid glue,
you can use screws or some sort of rivet or bolt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts