Hand Howitzer Wigglesworth Style

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Ryan Wigglesworth, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

Well, this is my favorite design of Joergs, although i do like to make the forks a bit narrower.

i moved a year and ahalf ago, and lost my work space, recently i have regained the motivation to get back to work, with this being the first decent catty i have come up with.

Still a work in progress really, but i wanted to show it off as it is for now

The wood is patagonian rosewood, very hard! there is no dremel work on this as it just isnt feasible, believe me i tried, the wood just burns and kills sanding bits, this requires a rasp and file exclusively. ( got this from build direct flooring sample):)

The inside is a small sheet of aluminium i got from my neighbour who collects scrap metal as a hobby.

Glued them together with Gorrilla Glue, at first it didnt hold, what i had to do was drill holes on the inside all over the surfaces to give the glue more hold. at some areas i went to deep and as i sanded and filed away, it became apparent with holes appearing on the outside. live and learn, the next one will not have the same mistakes.

So far I have sanded it down to 12000, there is no sealing as of yet, i will put a coat of wood finish on it, then i will put a super glue layer.

Will keep you updated, thanks for looking, hope you enjoy.

Its nice to get back in the groove, thanks to Joerg for my favorite design!

Attached Files:

2. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Ryan, I like the polish on the ally. If you can get west systems Gflex epoxy up there try it, no holes required and it holds on like a fat chick to a BigMac.

3. artons

artons New Member

that's a pretty good re-start! :)

4. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

hey, you are still around? nice to hear from you. very nice slingshot, i like the "skinny" shape.

5. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

very nice!!

6. Ryan Wigglesworth

Thank you guys, yes i am still breathing :) just going through turmoil in the past year but now back on track :)

7. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

Real nice! Outstanding shine on the alu core. I was doing alu core with wood scales and when final polishing was getting gray smears on wood from the aluminium. How do you prevent that or counter?

8. Ryan Wigglesworth

i been wiping it off , after every grit change i get my hand wet and coat the sling in moisture then wipe it off, then sand again. but also i have been taking care to sand both separately as best i can

that is a Joerg trick, to moisten the slingshot and then re sand, but it had hidden benefits of removing that grey smear! :D

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I like that very much!

10. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

Wow, looks great, can't wait to see it finished!

11. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Very nice, absolutely beautiful.

12. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

professional work! nothing else to say!

13. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Splendid! I love the metal-core :)

14. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

Tanks for the tip, I'll try it next time.

15. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Very nice! While you were out, Nathan of Flippinout slingshots did a video on bonding dissimilar materials that may be a help to you on the next one. Keep "Em coming!

16. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Nice to see you back with such a beauty.

17. Ryan Wigglesworth

well, i finished it as best i could. had many complications tho, for one, i coated one side in superglue that had sat for over a year, it was quite thick even tho it was supposed to be thin, and i was gonna make due with it, but i dropped it and it landed super glue side down... that was very annoying to have to remove and re work.

it was coated in some wood finish ( natural color), then in superglue for strength, then sanded and then wood finish for shine, then polished for more shine.

noteworthy is that its super tough to remove superglue from the aluminum , i ended up bringing out the dremel and using a grinding bit :S

the next one i will try some different stuff to avoid the small errors i have come across in this one such as holes poking through after i file it, lines from the bandsaw in the metal and un even frame , also i want my next one to be much better coat of superglue, i completely forgot how to do this properly and its taking some learning curve to get back :S

all in all, for a personal slingshot im quite happy. if i was making one to sell i would not be able to give this low of quality for a customer.

it looks great in my jacket pocket tho, now to put some bands on! :D

Attached Files:

18. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

outstandig work!

Hi Ryan,

I really would love to wake up with a beauty like that on my side ;)

And i fell in love with that rosewood!-

Nice to see what yoau did!

Greetings to Canada,

Be

19. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

Rosewood is challenging to work because it burns so easily and then it takes a lot to get that burn to vanish. Lovely lines. And very meticulous work. I've used super glue for ages to fix tiny defects...but never thought to use it as a stabilizer. There are some special extra thin epoxies that I prefer. porous wood will absorb up to 1/8" in depth on the flat grain. The epoxy fills the cells and the resulting material will out perform carbon fiber of the same dimensions. Laminated hulls made from 1/8" veneers are far less prone to stress fatigue than fiberglass, kevlar, CF or any mix of those three. Wood is a miracle we take for granted.

Thanks for showing this beauty.

20. Courier

Courier Senior Member

This is a great slingshot!
    Well done.