GZK Bands

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by sambo, Jan 9, 2018.

1. sambo

sambo New Member

I just got a sheet of GZK and wanted to see if anyone has used it and or what were your tapers are at. I have heard of 3/4 to 5/8 and also 23mm to 17mm. I typically shoot 3/8 steel but just got some large 1/2 steel which I am anxious to shoot and see the destruction it makes when hitting a coconut.
    Thank you in advance for any and all info provided.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Brian Cuyle likes this.
  2. sambo

sambo New Member

I spoke to Andy with SimpleShot and he mentioned for 1/2inch steel to do a 15-22mm taper and with 3/8 steel to do a 3/4inch straight cut. Just wanted to throw that out there.

I am interested in adding these to my slingbow to see what I can do with that.

3. BillHays

BillHays Member

This is both an easy and a difficult question to answer, because glass, steel and lead all have different specific masses. But, I'm going to try and make it as easy as possible for you to understand, regardless.

So what I'm going to do is give you the formula for steel ball ammo, and since lead is about 50% heavier and glass is about 50% lighter than steel it's going to be fairly easy to compensate from there.

For 0.03 thickness latex you simply cut the small end so that it's 1 1/2 times the size of the ammo and the large end is twice as wide as the ammo.... So 1/4" steel ball ammo needs tapers of 3/8" X 1/2"... and 1/2" steel ball ammo needs tapers of 3/4" X 1".

For glass ammo, the small end of the taper needs to be the same size as the ammo with the wider end being 1 1/2 times the width of the ammo.... a 1/2" marble uses tapers of 1/2" X 3/4" and a 3/4" marble uses 3/4" X 1" tapers.

For lead ammo, your cuts can either be 50% wider than steel's.... or simply use two bands per side instead of one, and utilise the formula for glass marbles. (1/2" lead ball, TWO 1/2" X 3/4" tapered bands per side of the pouch.)

For straight cut bands, make them about 1 3/4 wider than the ammo (steel).

For Theraband Gold, it's a tiny bit thinner than 0.03, so to compensate cut about 5% wider

4. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

This (GZK) is a very strange performing latex mix that comes in about five different thicknesses that I know of so far. It feels and pulls like a mix of latex and gum rubber. I cut mine the same as TBG and found it performed a little bit better (not really noticeable without a chronograph). It does do a little better in cold weather but I feel there are still better options. So far, the best stuff I have found for mix of durability, performance in all weather, strength, and consistency of product is the Precise line of latex on Ali Express. Red Precise is very similar to the old 0.04" thick latex but handles the cold a lot better and lasts longer. Green Precise tends to pull like TBG but definitely has more power.

5. sambo

sambo New Member

WOW, Than kyou for that. I do shoot steel ammo and will use those figures. Thanks for the explanation and in depth reply.

Keep on Shooting,
    Sam

6. sambo

sambo New Member

I will have to give that a try as well. Where do you purchase your Precise bands at?
    Thanks for the info.

bigdh2000 likes this.
  7. sambo

sambo New Member

bigdh2000 likes this.