GST Mk. II 2013 - The Slingshots

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by FIAAO, Sep 30, 2013.

1. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Post all the pics you want of your new slingshot here, in this thread! (Yes, I am a bit late (October 1st began 1 hour and 36 minutes ago, GMT +1), but I hope you don't mind. Now I have to get some sleep :D)

I'm looking forward to see all the beautiful slingshots of this years trade! A big THANKS to everyone that participates. And with that I hand the organizer-hat to BV, and hope you all join in for the upcoming Christmas-trade :D

2. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Don't worry. It is still 30 september here....22:16 pm.

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks again FIAAO for running this latest trade! Very much appreciated! So, since it's already Oct 1st in some parts of the world, are we required to wait until it's officially Oct 1st here before we post??

4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

The Marble Cutter

So this "newb" joins during the sign-up for the global trade acting like hes a rookie builder and is really intimidated blah blah blah. Not sure if he belonged in the trade, blah blah blah. Says don't expect too much, it's the first I've built, once again blah blah blah. So my package arrives and there is this beautiful applewood fork with amazing character, matte finish that sometimes looks glossy. Well safe to say E is shy, it's a damn fine slingy first or not. It came banded in tbg with those bomb ass rayshot supersure pouches. He also sent a second bandset along and some cool onyx marbles. As an additional bonus he sent a pear fork that looks so cool I think I'm gonna make wall art out of it. It was a pleasure trading with you E, and anyone here should be happy to draw him for christmas. Lets hear it for this first time bulider with an eye for a natural looking natural! Fits my hand perfectly and is so accurate I got my first 3 marble cut/explosions with it:cool:. Thanks E!
    IMGP0196.jpg

IMGP0197.jpg

IMGP0148.jpg

IMGP0156.jpg

IMGP0153.jpg

IMGP0154.jpg

IMGP0150.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Aw heck, I can't wait any longer. I want to get this posted before I go to bed. Allow me to present my slingshot from Dolomite. This is the "Hangin Tree" for it's resemblance to an old "hangin' tree" that served as a gallows in his town many years ago. That tree is long gone, but this fork reminded him of it. It was a bit of a town icon, though I'm sure D isn't pining for those old days, unless you get him riled about 'flatlanders'.

This sling is made of manzanita with an acacia cap. I didn't ask about the particular finish, my bad, but it's beautifully finished. It's smooth as glass and fits my hand perfectly. The finger grooves are perfectly positioned, allowing me to maintain a proper grip for TTF shooting. He banded it with a single layer of TBB, something I had not used before. I have to say I really like it and I plan to buy more.

As for accuracy, this slingshot is very accurate in my hands, more accurate than any others I own. Keeping in mind I'm a fledgling shooter and still learning, I did something with this that I've done with no others - I hit the same can, 5 times in a row at 10 meters. It's a great shooter. I've shot marbles, 1/4" and 3/8" steel and they've all worked great. I did have a single fork hit, of course, that was my fault, but that manzanita bore it well, with only a small dent to remind me to be more careful.

D is an impressive artist with wood. It was a great pleasure not only getting to trade with him, but he is a damn fine person as well. I'm pleased to know him. Oh, I forgot to add, he threw in a 2nd slingshot, one he had been working on that he considered to be a 'failed experiment', a type of moorhammer design with a twist. It's unfinished, but I'm sure it will get finished at some point, and then I'll show that too. He also included some extra TBB for me. Great guy to trade with for sure!

There are some beautiful colors/hues in this slingshot. I only hope my photos accurately captured them.

And now, behold the "Hangin' Tree" by Dolomite:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you'll all forgive me for jumping in to kick this off. Now, I can't wait to see your reveals!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Awww, good to see my baby again! You're too kind D! It really is my first ever slingshot, heck I didn't even know I could build one. I'm glad it's in good hands, right where it belongs.

7. Cubanizm

Cubanizm Junior Member

@Dolomite: That is a really nice slingshot you received. I agree, etrain16 was being overly modest. The fork has a lot of character and he was right not to over shape it.

It's got a very Lord-of-the-ringish feel to it.

@Etrain: It is easy to love Dolomites work but your pictures make it soooo much easier. (GREAT SHOTS)

For starters, the reds in that SS are amazing! Is it a natural red found in manzanita or some kind of ink/ acrylic? Either way, beautiful wrk Dolomite. I like the design you choice and mix of woods, the finger groove positioning and The squared fork tips are a really nice touch, not to mention that cap!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  8. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Cubanizm, thats all mother nature, no oil either just poly over natty wood. On some woods I have trouble making myself do anything but a protective coat. I once took an F in wood shop due to my refusal to use stain, I argued staining a fine oak board was goddam criminal. Thanks for the good words.

9. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

What a star! Danged nice shooters!

10. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

@ Etrain: So your first one, huh? Man, that is great! very well done. You've really kept the nature of the natural ;) and good job on the photos too!
    @ Dolo: What an awesome manzanita fork! Beautifully shaped with a very nice grain and finish! I really like the endcap. :cool:

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  11. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

I was just about to say the same :) It reminds me a fair bit of Gandalf's staff!

Super-excellent work, both of you :D

12. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

This thread is "naturally" starting with two beautiful naturals. ;)
    Very nice job guys. Big up!!
    Can' t wait to see what is comming next.

13. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

Good job! I'm like a kid in candy store.
    Really exited to see everyone's trades.

14. flicks

Here is the one that Enes sent to me. A beautiful carved natural with grooves and silver pins. Very comfortable to hold and to shoot! It is banded up with double TBblue and a pouch made of a kind of plastic sheet. I am not sure what material it is exactly, but I've done a few shooting sessions and it is really durable. Enes sent as well a replacement bandset and some green rubber, which seems to be similar to TBG.

Thanks again for this nice shooter Enes. I have to say that I enjoyed very much being your partner in this Global trade! :) Everytime again my friend!

Attached Files:

15. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Wow guys, what amazing work so far! Etrain, very impressed at a first shooter! That could have been your hundredth! The wood is excellent too!
    Dolo- that came out looking great! Killer manzanita fork, and the styling you chose is second to none! Great job bro!
    Enes- that is an excellent design! Adding those pins in the handle was a great choice, plus the carving and shaping made for a really great slingshot!

16. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Shame on you!

Hey flicks,

you are seriously a very bad guy!- Your honestly warm and friendly
    words to emphasize the beauty of that indeed really beautiful slingshot
    you were lucky to receive cannot conceil the simple facts:

You obviously killed a coon!- Not enough with that!- you missed to
    remove that poor creatures body from the pictures!- Instead even
    made that unhappy dead animal cuddle with its hangman! And
    this is perfidiously pointing out your coldheartedness, hard to believe
    and bear for me!

naughty, naughty boy!

( :) ) Greetings,

Be

17. flicks

Hey Be, don't worry! That is Rico, the raccoon. He migrated to Germany some weeks ago and will never be a subject for target practice. He wanted to be on the pics just to say hello to the community ;)

18. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Those are all beuties my dad found an address :) now pipe just gotta receive my pm saying where it is I have sent his 4 days ago roughly hope he likes it although it's quite the small shooter

J

19. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nice work Enes! I like the addition of the metal pins, it adds an interesting character without overwhelming the piece.

@Flicks - is that a plug of multiplex in the base? I don't think I've seen a natural fork with multiplex worked into it before. We'll look forward to seeing the one you sent to Enes!

20. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

He´s alive?

Thank god, he is alive! (Seemed too hard to believe you finished that
    furry creature)- So don´t be mad at me, please! I´m just an expert for
    animals, and immediately saw: that is an animal! (Now I put my glasses
    on) ;)

Be