Good Source for Paracord in the US?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Withak, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I need to get some paracord for a couple of projects, including some slingshot lanyards. I haven't bought any before and I'm seeing prices all over the place. Before I buy any, is there anyone out there (in the US) that has bought paracord and can tell me what a reasonable price should be?

How about any recommendations for an online supplier? I've looked in the stores locally and I'm pretty sure I can do better online.

Thanks for your help.

2. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

*deep breath*
    Amazon, eBay, home depot, Lowe's, harbor freight, army surplus stores, sports authority, Michael's (it's in the kids craft jewelry section).
    I got like 50' of the thin 100-150lbs paracord for $3 at my local home depot. You can get more than that on Amazon though but after shipping (and waiting if you're like me) it's not really worth it

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I've looked at a number of those places already. I just can't tell what a good price should be. I'm looking at 100' lengths and I've seen prices ranging from $5.95 on a site I don't know if I can trust to almost $20. I saw a thread some time ago where someone said don't spend any more than XX$ per 100' but I'll be darned if I can find it now. I think they also referenced an online site that had very competitive prices. And just FYI what I'm looking for is the standard 550 paracord, not the micro/mini stuff.

4. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

5. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

$6.00-$800 per 100' is what I have paid in the past, on-line is always cheaper but you have to look at the shipping. I found a army surplus store in my town that sells it for $7.99 for 100'. If your just getting 100' the shipping will cost you more than you will save online. Put if your buying a lot more then you will save online. Then you have to ask yourself do you want it now or wait for the holiday shipping. Oh and Hobby Lobby has a good selection. Hope this helps.

6. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Two weeks too late, I have a bunch of paracord and PP line.

7. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I bought my last supply of paracord at a gun show. If memory serves me, I believe I paid $6 per 100' of #550. It is quite high quality and the packaging said it was made in the US.
    I've certainly never broken a stand of it, and it knots and melts together very nicely. But if a local gun show is not around, I would agree with the others and look for good prices/reviews on Amazon. Happy hunting!

8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I should mention too that I'm looking for some of the 'fancy' multi-colored paracord for some of the projects, which often knocks the local hardware store, Home Depot or Army Surplus out of the running. I agree the shipping can be a deal breaker, so knowing what that will be before you start shopping is pretty important. The link Kohlqez mentioned looks interesting as does this one:

http://www.5dollarparacord.com/

They are currently offering all their paracord for $5.95/100' with free shipping if you buy any 7 items in their store. I'm in no big hurry, so waiting for shipping is not a big deal.

Achos - seems to work out that way, doesn't it? 2 weeks ago I wasn't thinking about buying any, now I am. Oh well, my loss :) Thanks though.

Beaver - thanks for the heads-up on the price, that gives me a better idea of what to expect.

Will - that's good to know. There actually is a Gun and Knife show in town this weekend (Collector's West) but there is no way I can get to it - we've got too much going on to get away for that.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. It's all good information, I do appreciate it.

9. RRRsdragger

RRRsdragger New Member

10. ForumTech

ForumTech Administrator Staff Member

toughgrid.com

I also run paracordforum.com and they have been great!