Gnarly Orange Natural Hybrid WITH laquering tutorial

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by JoergS, Sep 18, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Fellow forum member Theodor from Crete sent me some orange forks from trees his grandpa seeded and that had to be chopped down 60 years later or so. I already made a slingshot from one of them:

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f5/lascivious-jaundice-orange-wood-shooter-28595/

I was stunned by the even yellow color, and thought they would all be like that. Just out of boredom, I started to work on the second fork last week - and was surprised that this one looked way different. Very gnarly, lots of character!

It was too flat for a good hammer grip shooter, but once again my leftover exotic wood pile saved me. I laminated two pieces on and was in business with the frame.

I decided to go for the shiny poly coating again, came out great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those who want to try their hands on such a "Japanese Laquering" job, here is my build along document (lots of pics):

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2lOiwtIPanYdGNEREhjQUp4VUU/edit?usp=sharing

Have fun!

2. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

very nice. that wood has a lot of character.

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

beautiful work joerg!!

4. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

Great slingshot and thank you for tutorial Joerg.

5. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Nice piece of work
    an thank you for the description of
    Your working steps .
    :)

6. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

7. artons

artons New Member

very helpful tutorial and amazing slingshot
    just a little question: how much time do you wait for putting another coat and how much for the sanding?

8. CEZ

CEZ New Member

Thanks for the tutorial, it's very good. I might try this some time, although I'm so impatient to wait for PU to dry!:D

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Another gorgeous slingshot Mr. Joerg! I hope to learn by watching you. It's amazing how a well shaped and finished piece of wood can evoke such thoughts of envy!

10. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Eight to ten hours per coating works, ideally 24 hours before you start sanding.

Sanding? Perfection will take you about six to eight hours of your lifetime.

11. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Jörg, is there a special reason for your preference on building the RAMbone design recently? Is that because of the copyright of the moorhammer on milbro or you found it a better shooter?

12. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

My questions are, Which polish are you using (I'm sure that you have said before) and dou you buff by hand or do you use a wheel?

13. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I use car chrome polish, the stuff you can find in the hardware store. Tested several brands and found no differences. Now I use the cheapest I can find.

I polish by hand, as I don't have a buffing wheel - plus I am afraid that a wheel may remove the thin poly layers. It is already a challenge when you do that by hand.

I think the RamBone design is better than the Moorhammer and Hammerhead. Band attachment is easier, it allows the support style and it looks better - plus you can easily change the fork width, ideal for smaller boards/forks.

For those who aim (gangster style/anchor point), the bands will be just a thin line if you shoot a RamBone.

All in all, it's just one more evolutionary step.

14. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

Wow, amazing work as always joerg!

15. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

That's what I thought.

16. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Cheap and by hand... Just my style.
    Thanx!

17. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

Amazing wood and a great looking shooter.
    The finish was worth the work too.

18. Metroyeti17

Metroyeti17 New Member

Your love for this craft is so evident in the quality of work you produce. Awesome stuff.

19. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Looking at photo #1, something more caught my eye. Is it just me (yeah, it could be), but does anyone else see a little face at the base of the slingshot? Perhaps a bit of a zombie looking face???

20. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Beautiful woods and awesome finish!! :eek:
    Thanks very much for the step-by-step tutorial, great job.

@ Etrain: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSNyiSetZ8Y"]WATCH THIS[/ame] I see it too. ;)