Glossary?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Bushmaster, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

As a new guy I am enjoying all of the discussion and photos but I must say some of the slang and acronyms are escaping me. Has anyone composed a list of definitions? I just found out by someone else asking what BLO is. Also what exactly is the procedure for vice testing a new frame? Thanks for your patience and tolerance of rookies!

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I would start by reading through this previous post, it will provide many of the terms you are looking for:

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f4/slingshot-lingo-30967/

A couple of months ago I didn't know much of this myself. Hang around here for a while and you'll figure it out.

I'm no expert in vice testing, but there are some folks here, including slingmaster Joerg that have addressed it in various threads before. You may try searching the forum for 'vise' and see what comes up.

3. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

BLO - boiled lineseed oil
    Vise test- attach slingshot to a vise, tie strong cords on the tips, pull it very strong and hold it pulled for some time. It did not break? Maybe you are safe!

4. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Vice testing is when you put a frame in a vice, attach a rope to it, pull on it with the same force as the rubber you plan to use and try to break it. Usually this is done with a new design or material.
    Be Safe! Happy Shootin'!

5. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

@Brazilviking
    It's kindo spooky how much we think alike.