Funny how this forum has changed the way I see

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buckshot500, Jan 25, 2014.

1. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Since I have been on this forum I have discovered that many of the tools and materials I used to brush aside, now have a new found importance to me.

I never thought I'd really need to have a bench grinder with a belt sander on one side. Passed on a nice cheap one, and it sold 3 days before i realized I wanted it.

I never thought I'd really have a desire to own a set of rasps and riffs.

I threw away a giant rubber band (4" wide, 1/8" thick and probably 12' long if i would have cut it) because I had no idea it could be cut and attached so easily.

Large pieces of scrap aluminum, sent to the scrapyard. (wish I had it to melt down)

Today I drove past a pile of blue PVC pipe on the side of the road, and almost pulled over to look at it. (no none fell into my trunk)

I almost get sick thinking about how much different wood I could have had for free, but passed it up.

Now a trip to the tool store or hobby shop is taking so much longer and almost everything i see has potentials that i never thought much about before.

Worst thing of all though is my realization that I have no workshop to get busy in. So now I keep staring at the lot where they sell sheds and small buildings in my town, wondering how I can stop myself from finding a way to buy one.

It's a sickness I'm sure you all can relate to, but it's all good. At least I won't be bored real soon.:)

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

This forum will do that to you. I used to see targets everywhere, now that I want to start building slingies myself I see potential everywhere.

3. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Preaching to the choir there buckshot.
    Its good for me to be able to put some long lost skills into practice again. And Jeremy is right, there is potential everywhere

4. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I find myself looking at tree branches on the ground. I dunno why...

-Wild Bill

5. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Last Tuesday (garbage day) I wandered the neighborhood for a half hour to see if anyone had done any tree trimming...

6. PaulPawx3

PaulPawx3 Member

Buckshot500 I think that only the yellow PVC is the kind that falls in your trunk:D

7. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

You do realize though, that you can easily pass off most of your guilt on all of us here... Well, mostly Joerg for starting all this! :)

8. buckshot500

I could but only to say that you all have rekindled a long lost memory of an impossible shot I made while cutting school in the 7th grade.

My friend said I couldn't hit a small sign that was about 40 yards away. I said that's correct! I will hit the sign post and i will hit ti exactly one inch down from the bottom edge of that sign.

I hit the exact spot and he measured it with his Swiss army knife ruler.
    Walking back he said damn that was a lucky shot. I already had the pouch loaded and called one inch lower than the first shot.

Nailed it. His name was Ray Cameron and we did some crazy stuff like built a huge lake one time behind queen casuals on Northeast ave. we flooded the dirt bike track with 25 feet of water. and it was as big as 2 football fields.

If going back to this awesomeness helps me remember some of that fun, it'll all be worth it.

9. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Great story and excellent shooting! One question though, how did you go about placing all that water?!

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I can echo much of what you said here. I had rasps that sat unused for years, now they're at the top of the tool rotation. My belt sander hadn't seen the light of day in ages, now it stands ready for use. Where I never would have thought about buying a band saw or scroll saw, I want to have both (I do have the band saw now). I have a box full of raw forks just waiting to be shaped. I spent over an hour wandering through a wood supply store recently - I've never wandered through one before.

Yes, this disease has many odd side effects. Strangely enough though, I don't seem too distressed by any of them.

11. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Let us take a moment for another lost soul.........;)

12. buckshot500

Well it started with us damming off the drainage area using only shovels. Took about 3 days.
    Then we connected a fire hose we found to a fire hydrant that was just over a small hill. We ran the hose over the hill and turned the fire hydrant on with a pipe wrench. I have no idea how long it ran, but it filled the lake in a couple of weeks. We only opened the valve a little because the hose was whipping around too much.

I feel pretty good about the side effects too.
    I have yet to start looking at wood products in a store yet, but I was thinking about the home center aisle just this morning.

13. buckshot500