From an old gun stock...

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by JoergS, Sep 6, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I bought an older Sharps replica on an auction a while ago, in very bad condition. I plan to use it in my Zombie film, and turn it into a non shooting movie prop. There was a big crack in the stock, so it will be sawed off Sharps!

The rear end of the stock was junk and actually on the firewood pile. But then, just as I was ready to feed it into the fireplace, I had second thoughts. The grain seemed great for a boardcut.

[​IMG]

I sawed a slingshot out of it.

[​IMG]

Then I glued on a piece of orange osage, a leftover.

[​IMG]

After the filework was done, I had a nice piece. Tested it in the vise, no issues, it is very strong.

[​IMG]

I oiled it with linseed, which tinted the wood into the original dark brown it had when it was a stock.

Then I decided to do a poly job on it. In most cases I simply put the poly on carefully, sand the little dust particles off with 1200 grit, and polish it. That makes a nice shine, but it also is a bit uneven. This time, I wanted perfection.

So I sanded the whole polycoat over until it was absolutely even. Then I used 1200 grit and finally car chrome polish. Now the piece is probably my nicest poly job ever. It looks like on of these Japanese laquiring bowls - those are made pretty much the same way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A very nice piece, and a good shooter too!

2. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

WOW...what a finish !! A gorgeous slingshot!

3. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Joerg, it looks like you somehow encased it in glass!

4. CEZ

CEZ New Member

It's very reflective:cool:

5. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Yes, it feels a bit like encased in perspex... and it is absolutely watertight, won't ever change its color and won't rot, too.

Also, it is physical proof that you can oil a frame and THEN apply polyurethane.

6. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

All this interview and fame stuff were making you stressed, and so you decided to make a slingshot just to relax?
    Fantastic piece!! amazing job! Wood from the fire and a leftover piece...... and my womn complains about some wood pieces that I bring home sometimes.:mad:

7. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Really Beautiful Slingshot! :cool:

8. Courier

Courier Senior Member

I am speechless with amazement!!
    This is a VERY beautiful slingshot.
    The finish looks awesome and the design is ingenious.
    I hope we get the chance to see some more slingshots with that finish someday. :)

9. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I actually worked on that finish on and off for two weeks... have been travelling so much, from event to event.

A good poly coat needs time, as the coat needs to be fully hardened before you can start the sanding. I use severa coats anyway, in most cases four or five.

The slingshot was done in a few hours, the finish took much longer.

10. Y-shooter

Y-shooter Member

Stunning!
    Outstanding pictures of the making! You are great in sharing knowledge.
    I don't find words.
    YOU ARE THE MAN!

11. artons

artons New Member

DAMN! THIS IS STUNNING!
    I really love the grain of this wood

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Wow, what a nice piece, very beautiful. I have an old cracked stock from a a Mosin Nagant, I never thought about turning it into a slingshot. Thanks for the inspiration.

13. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Wow, wow, wow...I'm stunned! This is a truly beautiful piece! Great idea with the combination of woods too, the Osage was a nice touch. Now I'm giving a really close look at stocks on my rifles...:D

14. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

A master piece.

15. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

slickness

impressing slickness! that coating makes it seem wet and transparent somehow!-
    Deep, like one can look INTO the wood!

really nice!

16. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

awesome!! the finish is just super!!

17. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

It's quite amazing.

18. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Joerg, did you polish it by hand or buffing wheel? it looks like a machine did it!

Etrain, man you got me thinking about that old 91/30 stock now, and the sks stock has been sitting for so long now that the tapco unit is finished. what is a guy to do? the wood won't be as nice as on the sharps replica though.

19. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Hand polished. I have a blister on my right index finger.

20. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I have a hard time thinking about cutting up even an old gun stock (I've got a Tapco on my SKS as well), but the Mosin stock is cracked up near the trigger guard and needs to be replaced (hopefully with one of those nice Archangel stocks if I can get the extra $$). I don't know what the quality of that Mosin wood will be, but I may just take a saw to it one of these days.