"Frankenstein" my 3rd homemade slingshot

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Mixerman, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Mixerman

Mixerman New Member

"Frankenstein" was pieced together from 5 pieces of wood in a frustrating month long effort, which I almost gave up on several times. In fact, you guys urged me to finish it, and now, it's a-liiiiiiiive. Frank started as a 4 piece Home Depot floorboard sampler glued together in a staggered fashion. The top 2 pieces are wood flooring samples, wooven bamboo tigerstripe and red oak. The bottom 2 were Pergo laminate flooring. I hated the way the Laminate back was looking so I sanded it flat so all that remained was the wood composite core, which is actually very solid. Then I glued a piece of oak plywood that was in my garage, and shaped it into a palm swell. It's not perfect, it's kinda ugly, but I learned a lot, and it shoots pretty good. Thanks for checking it out and the encouragement to finish it. My next one will definitely be a natural but I've picked up some great wood flooring samples for accents, we'll see what the wood wants.
    PS my attention starved cat kept trying to get in my SS pictures so I included one with her in it to make her happy, haha. HAPPY HALLOWEEN everyone!

Attached Files:

2. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

HAHA your cat is priceless there :D I like how you made it from samples of flooring I think? I dont like how it looks in the first picture but from profile it rocks.

3. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

4. Mixerman

Mixerman New Member

Thanks! Yup, flooring.. I agree, the tiger stripe doesn't go well with the red oak, but they were the only pieces that fit well out of the samples I grabbed that day. Now I've learned and started stocking up every time I make a trip to HD.

5. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Well done!

Really a nice slingy,
    pretty nicely shaped!

Well done!

Greetings,

Be

6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

It looks good Mixerman, nice work.

7. Courier

Courier Senior Member

Looks like a wonderful slingshot!
    You did a great job, Mixerman.

8. zurdoman95

zurdoman95 Member

really beautiful ss

9. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

Looks very nice. How does it shoot?

10. Mixerman

Mixerman New Member

Thanks! I'm dead on accurate with it, but I'm getting lots of handslap, not sure why. I'll try it with the glove and try to find a better technique for it.

Maybe the lower forks are more efficient, so my chosen band length is more powerful than it should be compared to the same band on a slingy with higher forks

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  11. MountainStorm

MountainStorm Termite

I get slaps when I shoot lighter ammo like glass or rocks...not so much with lead balls. It can definitely take some of the fun out of shooting. Hope you work it out.

12. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

Hi Mixerman,

Good to know this kind of shooter is working fine for you too! This "palm support" feels good. :)

I like to listen the sound of bands during shooting. A well chosen ammo reduces the slapping sound of the bands too. And less on hands by slaps.

As I see your bands on the image (I'm making a guess) that's pretty wide and long. If you go for strength it's better to make a dual band set in my opinion. With this set you may shoot dia. 12mm or over, depending draw length.

Like that shape and great job for a third! Keep it comin! I'm excited to know more about your experiences about wide handle method.

Greetings, Tremo

13. Mixerman

Mixerman New Member

Thanks! I've been experimenting with different band cuts. I agree a double bandset may work better for this SS. I wanted to start with a single band to shoot masking tape balls to make sure there's no surprises and move on to 9.5mm steel. Both gave me handslap. I have the same band on another SS with no slap shooting same ammo. I also have a double band on another SS that can even shoot tape balls as well as 15mm steel with no slap. So I'm guessing in some cases it's important to match the right bandset to the right SS. Lately I prefer a straight cut over tapered for longevity over speed.
    Oh, and these ones are 1 inch wide, 11 inch cut so about 9.5 inches after the attachment.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  14. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I like it. The look on the cat's face is priceless, it's like "finally some damn attention!"

15. Mixerman

Mixerman New Member

I think The Slingshot Channel should put out a 'cats w/ slingshots' calendar. All proceeds go to support Zombie Wars the movie! I'd buy one :)

16. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Looks Good! You mentioned "staggering" the pieces. I don't understand the process. Could you elaborate on this point?

17. Mixerman

Mixerman New Member

Sure! So the front seam is easy to see. I had glued a laminate piece centered behind the front seam and another piece directly below that. Then made a board cut out of it. As I sanded the Laminate down, the seam is very difficult to see now but it's at about 3/4 of the way down. Then the plywood covers the entire back. Sanded back top half quite a bit.

18. Otees

Otees Another Member

Nice!! I'm doing frankenstein for my drama performance

19. Lars

Lars The Evil Genious

now just oil it
    linseed oil (i use linseed varnish)

20. Mixerman

Mixerman New Member

I was going to, but I failed to tighten the cap to my Tung Oil Finish, so it dried up. I instead sprayed 3 coats of spray poly. I'm cool with it.