Forks from a fallen trees

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Suntrail, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Suntrail

Suntrail Junior Member

Hello everyone!

My name is Christian and this is my first post. I think it's only right to show today's harvest. :) It comes from a fallen birch, a fallen beech (I think) and dead wood.
    I have made one slingshot in the past, of hazel. Then I lost interest and the joy of making another one. But now that I've found these forks I feel the energy building up again.

[​IMG]

Starting top row, left to right:

1: Birch
    2 & 3: Dead wood of some kind
    4: Beech

Bottom row, left to right:

1: A fatty lump of birch that I will carve into shape. :)
    2, 3 & 4: Beech. Number 3 will be shaped in some way.

The small one at the bottom end is also birch and I will shape it a little bit but I hope it will be a cute little micro shooter. :)

That's it! Feel free to reply.

2. dontask

dontask Member

nice harvest. welcome and enjoy building.

3. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Excellent collection. Commence work, we'll see you next year when you finish them all. :D

4. Jeb

Jeb Baba Hunter

Some beauty forks there. Looking forward to seeing what you build. Welcome!

5. seppman

seppman Folding-Ladder Expert

Welcome to the forum and let us see your new builds then please! Some promising forks there...

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Sweet looking forks. I look forward to seeing what you do with them.

7. Suntrail

Suntrail Junior Member

Thank you, guys! It's so nice of you to comment. :)
    In south Sweden we had a huge storm the other night that was all over the national news. Gorm was the name of the storm and it broke some massive trees which provided me with a couple of new forks! :)
    It's mostly birch but I found a nice looking maple fork as well. It's the middle one in the top row. The second one from the right in the bottom row is a brilliant fork, with a bent handle, almost like a pistol. I'm telling you, this means work and serious business. :)

ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1449043868.513950.jpg

8. seppman

seppman Folding-Ladder Expert

Have some fun and don't forget to dry them before!

9. Suntrail

Suntrail Junior Member

Thanks for the heads up, seppman! Actually I store them on my radiators. :) It keeps them warm and cozy!

10. nottoyslingshots

nottoyslingshots Natural Slingshots Enthusiast

Hello there and great find!
    The big and chunky ones have great potential, put them to good use.

11. Belargo

Belargo Mad Scientist

Be careful, that way you have the highest risk for cracks.
    Either leave them outside in a spot where they don't get rained upon for 1 to 2 years, or dry them really quickly in the oven or the microwave.

12. Suntrail

Suntrail Junior Member

I appreciate your concern, Belargo. I may be a newbie when it comes to making slingshots but I've handled and stored wood of this sort before. :) The radiators works just fine for me and the wood dries nicely.

13. Belargo

Belargo Mad Scientist

Ok, cool.
    How long does it take to get them dry enough to work with?

14. Suntrail

Suntrail Junior Member

Well, sometimes one month and sometimes longer. I don't think that I've ever done it more than 4-5 months though. Then I peel of the bark and feel the the wood. After that I determine if it needs more time on the radiator or not. It's more of a feeling than it is exact science, if you know what I mean. :)