Fork

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by codido187, Dec 26, 2013.

1. codido187

codido187 New Member

Do you think this fork is good enough for my very first slingshot I have ever made ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1388087915.813901.jpg

2. dolomite

dolomite Banned

what wood is it?

3. codido187

codido187 New Member

To be honest I don't know the tree was a grey is black color the wood is hard very hard even soft

4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

If its a hardwood then it'll be fine. for safety reasons, with unknown woods, build the slingshot then try to break it before you put bands on it. If it breaks, you saved yourself a trip to the dentist office. If not, then you have a slingshot to keep.

5. codido187

codido187 New Member

It looks like Osage orange but I'm not sure I can't even bend the forks together im hoping its a good fork out here in New Mexico we don't have that good of hardwood that I can cut down we have pines Douglas furs oak rio grande cottonwoods stuff like that thatnk you for your advice I am very new to making slingshots and I would like to learn more

6. codido187

codido187 New Member

7. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Did u dry it yet, pull at least 40lb on the forks for max safety, have any leaves so we can identify, any leftover bark

8. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

If you leave the fork arms as thick as this, I say it is perfectly safe no matter what kind of wood this may be.

9. codido187

codido187 New Member

It will be dry by tomorrow and do you think I should cut the forks shorter what would be your guys advice for a good looking slingshot??
    And thanks again for everyone's great advice I'm new to sling shots and I saw the slingshot channel on YouTube and I'm hooked!!! I wish I had a panther or a scout.

10. codido187

codido187 New Member

And how should I put the bands on over the top???

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

There are a few ways you can do the tips. You can round the front and back edges if the fork tips to lessen the stress on the bands. I'm a fan of cutting the fork tip straight across rather than at an angle like they're currently cut, but that's just a personal preference. As for length, if you're newer to shooting, leave them a bit longer, that will give you a bit more room as you get used to shooting. You can always cut them shorter later if you prefer. I like my forks just a bit shorter - again, just personal preference. It's a nice fork, so you probably can't do too much to mess it up. And yes, I would band this over the top.