Fork shots

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by codido187, Dec 28, 2013.

1. codido187

codido187 New Member

How do you prevent fork shots I have an over the top natural slingshot

2. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

1. Hold it firmly and evenly to your draw.
    2. Release, release, release! Relax and release naturally!
    3. repeat the first two.

-Wild Bill

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

+1 for what WildBill said. I would add 2 more items if his suggestions don't eliminate them:

1. Be sure your bands and pouch are properly sized for your ammo. Under-powered bands on a heavy shot can allow the ammo to drop from the pouch before it clears the fork.

2. To follow along with what Bill said about releasing properly, I do like the method of twisting the pouch at a 90 degree angle to the fork - just pull back and turn it 90 degrees - this has helped me more than anything with preventing fork (or hand) strikes.

Good luck with your practice.

4. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Hmmm... Interesting that you mentioned the 90 degree twist. I've heard that that helps some folks, but personally I have not done that. Every fork hit I've had I was able to trace either to a bad hammer grip or a hasty, 'forced' release of the pouch. I suppose that the reason I haven't done the twist is that I fear that it could affect accuracy in target shooting. Have you, over a period of a lot of shots, done a comparison of the two methods and, if so, seen any significant difference in accuracy?

-Wild Bill

5. codido187

codido187 New Member

I would like to ask a stupid question how do you twist it 90 degrees would you be willing to post a picture or two

6. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

7. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I also recommend using paintballs or, better, powder balls for beginners. Those are cheap, bio degradable, heavy enough and absolutely harmless for both operator and equipment. You can get those in .43 and .68 caliber sizes.

Those allow you to experiment with all of the methods like flipstyle, pouch twisting and so on. Fork hits will happen during those experiments, but they won't be a disaster - in fact they won't even cause a major break in the shooting session.

After you have found your style, do 200 rounds or more without any fork hits. Then something very important will occur: Confidence kicks in. This allows you to focus on the target rather than on avoiding fork hits.

8. codido187

codido187 New Member

Thank you guys for the information paintballs seems like a good idea right now I have a nice bruise on my knuckle from the ammo not leaving the sling thank god it was a pebble

9. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Twist the pouch 90 degrees to the frame (+1 to whitehawk!)
    Inclinate the pouch under your thumb so it may "jump" sliddig over it in the shot. The release must be gentle and sutile.... Do not open wide the fingers.

10. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Like this

Attached Files:

11. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

here is the bend "angle" that doc BV explained in action ... the long draw I use sideways enforces that bend "angle" in a very natural/anatomic way, I can assure you that is completely safe from fork hits after many thousand shoots with a PFS
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3JaJyxixuM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3JaJyxixuM[/ame]
    fork hits are most likely due to "wrong" bends of the pouch
    hope this helps
    cheers

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I haven't done a side by side comparison Bill. I learned the pouch twist method very early on in my shooting and do it instinctively now. It actually doesn't feel right to me any more if I don't do it. I know that in the beginning, I was having a number of fork hits and a few hand strikes. The only things I changed, were to avoid certain kinds of ammo (like heavy, irregularly shaped rocks) and adding the pouch twist. If I'm not mistaken it was Arturo that I first picked up the twist from. Others had bolstered the same thing and it's taken hold. Since then, the only fork hits I've had (there haven't been many), I attribute to exactly what you stated - a poor release. I know the ammo isn't the problem any longer.

13. codido187

codido187 New Member

Thank you all for your great advice time to slap on my eye protection an hand protection to try all kinds of new things