Fork hits

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Acdundas, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Acdundas

Acdundas Junior Member

Hello all, I am new to this forum and have recently made my first slingshot from joerg's "phoenix" design. I have put a single set of theraband gold on it.
    My problem is that when I shoot, the bands hit my forks and my fingers and the ammo only goes about 2 metres in front of me. I have tried shooting both marbles and 15mm lead balls.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I cannot shoot my slingshot because of this problem.

Alex

2. pillowfly

pillowfly Member

hi and welcome to the forum:), i recommend you use jorgs bandcalculator and choose a size of ammo you will stick with and
    since you are a beginner i would choose a wide fork to prevent fork hits

3. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

The most importanat things are:
    1-check if the size of your bands are equal....differences make the trajetory anormal
    2-when pulling the pouch, twist it counterclockwise (if you are pulling with the right hand) about 90 degrees, and raise the thumb, so the pouch gets about 15 degrees angle to the floor.
    3-release from this position. the bands will pass over the fork.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW8eIxi4OWo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW8eIxi4OWo[/ame]

4. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

5. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

really learned something

Hey B.V.- glad you and Arturo taught me that,

thank you very much!

6. dolomite

dolomite Banned

What BV said, Mr. Arturos "tweak" method changed my life. Learn it, live it,love it;). Now the only fork hits i get are after too many um, you know.

7. Rolf

Rolf New Member

The phoenix is a good design, but because of its low fork and the v-shape it is definitely not a beginner slingshot. I also startet with the phoenix and had the same problems. I suggest to start with a higher, u-shaped fork. After some practice also low and narrow forks are easy to shoot with.

8. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

The "turn and tweak" is a well known method to avoid fork hits, it has being used by many before ... one of it's main advocates is pfshooter and torsten also use it (search youtube) to shoot butterfly, the only restriction is that is OTT ... some additional benefits I've noticed is no abrasion on the bands as they fly clean over the fork tips which results in longer band life and as torsten has demonstrated it can be very accurate specially with butterfly draw ... I use it regardless the frame ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

9. dolomite

dolomite Banned

... I use it regardless the frame ...
    Cheers
    Arturo[/QUOTE]
    as do I, consistancy is key with a slingy so using it on all frames helped me develop my accuracy.

10. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

I'll need to remember to come back to this thread when we are ready to shoot! :D

11. LW

LW New Member

Fork hits are mostly dangerous for the slingshot ... I destroyed already two super Slinshots with a fork hit.
    It is improbable that the ball comes right back to you. It will bounce off at the fork, and hit somewhere where you can not use it. With me in a ceiling light ...:D

But it's very good, you wear eye protection. I have now for a long time had no ricochet or fork hit, but always wear eye protection.

You only have two eyes...;)

12. dolomite

dolomite Banned

always wear eye pro, broken bands can ruin an eye. i had one hit my glasses and stripe my face with a welt, no clue how bad it could've been with no eyes on. jen, for beginners stick to higher and wider forks. with 3" forks and 3" between forks, there's way less chance for hits. there i go measuring again,lol.

13. Y-shooter

Y-shooter Member

I haven't seen this video before.
    Very good explanation.

14. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

good advice dolomite ... I should always wear eye protection even I hate it, my fault, something good about taper is that bands mostly breaks near the pouch without danger, always be sure of rounded and smooth fork tips (I much care), do some "elongations" to elastics to review tearing before and at the first sign of tearing replace immediately BOTH elastics with a new set ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

15. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I agree with the other members. I think 15mm lead is too much for a single band per side, too slow on the acceleration even with the tweak and twist method.
    Practicing with dogs granules could also help you develop your shooting skills. ( and it fly pretty staight to)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013