Fork from bushes?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by AngelicScars, Nov 19, 2013.

1. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

When we had a parent/teacher conference recently, I noticed a lot of the bushes outside of the school were bare. I saw some branches that were fairly thick and looked like they could be really pretty forks. I have no idea what the bushes were, but I was wondering if the wood would be strong enough to work. Thoughts?

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I was told by some folks that some of those bushes can be very good for slingshots. They mentioned rhododendrons as one in particular that work well - and for that reason I have my eye on a big rhodie in our yard - I just need to make a cut where it won't be noticeable ;) I've also got my eye on a big wisteria in our yard. The impression I got was that 'woody' shrubs/plants will usually work well. I'm sure some others here will have more suggestions. I would think if you can do a strength test in a vise like many others have recommended, you could determine if it will stand up.

3. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

most bushes are stronger at the same thickness as other woods

4. AngelicScars

Awesome! BUT, I don't think the school would be too happy with me cutting up their bushes...

5. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

im sure one or two forks wont be missed

6. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Ask when they cut them down, so they can leave some forks for you:)
    That's what I did when the bushes at my school were cut down and the caretaker(is that the right word?) and he gave me six forks that still wait for me to work on them.

7. AngelicScars

I'll probably have to wait until next year since they are completely bare now.

8. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Get the kids to do it, you wont get in trouble then ;)

9. AngelicScars

Bahaha! They would totally rat me out! "Mommy told me to!"

10. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Most of the most resistent brazilian woods come from smaller trees and bushes. Find a nice one and give it a try!

11. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Schools close early.

I have made a couple from red tipped Photinia . Looks good and holds up.

12. HandForged13

HandForged13 New Member

Yeah, I agree with Achso. My teacher has a big Siberian Elm in his backyard and when he was doing some pruning, I asked if I could have some forks. He said yes, but I had to cut them myself. No biggie. But then again, my school is a little strange in it's teaching policies. ;)

13. sleepingbear

sleepingbear New Member

My first slingshot was made from a Crepe Myrtil bush about 55 years ago. I used it for 25 years, until it grew legs and walked away.