For the Bro in Law

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by beaverIII73, Jan 17, 2014.

1. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

So I made this one for my brother in law. Its a nice bush-craft knife. It turned out very nice. I found a good looking peace of dark poplar for the hidden tang handle. The picture didn't do the wood justice. The patina on the Blade turned out much better than my last one. All in all I'm very pleased with this one. Together with the sheath I thing he will like his lil bit late Xmas gift. And I also sent the blue dagger along for my sister, she loves the color blue so I thought it will make a nice home with her.

Attached Files:

2. PaulPawx3

PaulPawx3 Member

Nice work, looks good.

3. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Very cool, I've often tried to do patterns like the one you did on the back but always mess up on the spacing, do you have any advice to help with that?

4. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Very nice, I bet he'll love it!

5. beaverIII73

I used a sharpy and a ruler to mark the spacing. Then I used a half round file to cut a fine line across the edge. Once I had the lines cut I used a small round file to cut the bevel shape in. I hope that helps.

6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nice knife! I'm sure he's going to like that. All these nice blades showing up is making me think I may actually want to try something like this sometime. Great job.

7. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

a bushcraft knife should have the not-cutting edge (back?) without any teeth or curves and sharpened into a flat plane so you can use it to "smooth" wood like you would with glass AND to strike a firesteel with it.

If I am not wrong.

I like the patina very much and it goes well with the grooves from the file (with practically makes this a multitool :D ). Also the handle looks good!

8. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

9. beaverIII73

Your not wrong i think i miss use the term but it will strike a flint by the handle there is a flat spot for that. I did the fancy work as practice, which is what all of these knives have been. I try something new on each knife.