Fly Swatter-Slingshot?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by FIAAO, Jun 8, 2013.

1. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

I'm thinking along the lines of a little slingshot-pistol, pocketable (15 cm long?) , shooting special projectiles built for the sole reason of smashing flies. I already designed those in my head:

A wooden dowel, about 10 mm diameter, about 100 mm long. In the front of it you attach a round piece of thick (1mm) leather with a screw. On top of that you glue a equally big, but thicker, piece of foam. That way it won't damage any walls it might hit.

The pistol can in that case be no bigger than 10 cm from front of trigger to back of triggermechanism, in order to fit with the bolt.

The hardest thing with this build is to make it look good- I usually dont make good-looking things. (Just look at my crossbowpistol to see an example of ugly craftmanship) But as I said, I want this to look really good! I will try to upload a quick sketch I made this morning.

2. FIAAO

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

like this idea! I used to hunt flies with my homemade rubber band guns when i was younger but this should work much better.

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Its very funny that you should mention this! The same idea occurred to me while sitting outside a couple nights ago! I can't wait to see your drawings

5. jt-1911

jt-1911 Senior Member ProPlatinum

6. FIAAO

Yes, but it looks pretty cheap and ugly, if you don't mind me saying so... :)

7. jt-1911

jt-1911 Senior Member ProPlatinum

No no, its just an idea to inspire you. :)

8. FIAAO

Of course :) Thanks mate!

9. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

I remember playing with one of these long ago--first thing I thought of reading the original post. Not a well crafted thing, but unless the fly was on a curtain he was done for.

A few test bolts with a similar warhead would be pretty effective I bet, low air drag etc.

I wish you the best of success--few things are as annoying and unsanitary as a housefly.

10. FIAAO

Aaargh!! No pic?! Uploading pictures on the new forum makes me crazy!!? [​IMG]

New try:

Like this but with the "revolving nut" trigger system instead.

Attached Files:

11. FIAAO

Progress!

Attached Files:

12. FIAAO

Thanks!

Haha, nice crossbow there!

13. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

14. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Hey, that looks awesome! Very nice job! I despise flies, and anything that helps bring about their end is great in my opinion. What are your plans for the design of the swatter projectile?

15. FIAAO

Thanks! :)

Will: I wrote a line or two about the "arrows" in the first post :) I will soon have one ready to show!

16. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Yes, you did! Apparently I either went blind temporarily or had forgotten how to read! Sorry for the boneheaded question

17. FIAAO

Will: Haha, no problem :) Thanks for showing interest!

Drachen: Yes, exactly! Without the "cones" maybe... Thanks! :D

18. Why not with cones?
    You could make some tests with and without cone!
    You could also take some elastic dummy from bath towel holder?

Joe