FlipClip

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by michael247, Jan 16, 2014.

1. michael247

michael247 New Member

First of all, I am not sure whether there is already a thread about this. Anyway.
    I use a Scout for a couple of weeks and I also got myself a pair of those FlipClips.
    I am a bit disappointed but I don;t want to blame either the product or the idea. The price tag of 5$ is quite cheap. I don't really like the FlipClips though, even (or maybe because) I am a beginner.
    I like the basic idea and concept but the result isn't convincing at all. I think this idea has way more potential.

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I actually really like the FlipClip and Im pretty new as well.

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

tell us more! what do and don't you like?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

4. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

I disagree with you. The concept is well thought out!
    And it´s creating a win/win situation:

Builders, like you and me, are inspired, may like to improve it..
    I could make those out of metal or use the principle otherwise..

All the rest may use the product at a decent price!- And like
    I myself also owns an original product of simple-shot (to take
    pride in - like I do!) -
    Therefor it has to be mass-produced, and certainly undergoes
    the process of manufacture engineering. Which means that
    some form of apparatus has to be used to make those! -Which
    brings up a whole bunch of parameters that have to be taken
    care of, like material, temperatures, pressures, radii aso..
    (Which will of course also determine what screws have to
    be used, according to the above..)

All this has been done. At a decent price.

That´s why I disagree, I can´t be bothered - to me
    the FlipClips are just fine! -I recently infected my brother,
    he´ll receive those as a surprise "upgrade" for his Scout that
    he will enjoy!

best regards,

Be

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  5. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Do they hold the bands securely as advertised? (not being sarcastic, just very curious.) I love making forks but hate tying bands.

6. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I have just got a scout and looked at the flip clips but thought I would try and make my own. Compromises are always made in mass production so I will have a look and see what I can knock up. Im sure something could be made for the Rambone too.

7. Ynuk

Ynuk New Member

Can you use the FlipClip at a Rambone?

8. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

Nope you can't

9. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Indeed they do. I've shot OTF and TTF and have had absolutely no problem.

10. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

you might be able to modify a rambone to use them... you'll never know untill you try!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I bought a pair to go on my slightly older Scout. They have worked well for me so far, but if I were to desire one change, it would be that they could be used by hand, and not require a screwdriver. But that's a minor issue. They work for me and I do like them. The price is right too - plus I believe all new Scouts include them - bonus!

12. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Bought mine a week ago and no flip clips, they were an optional extra. Then again that was from SSC Store not direct from SimpleShot. Not really bothered, Im more paranoid about the pure latex going off if it even sees daylight. Im considering shooting at night ;)

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Yeah, I think getting them included is standard if you go through Simple-Shot. I haven't tried their natural latex yet, maybe yours will make a great Vampire shooter :D

14. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

I like them very much. I also plan to make a wooden ss that would be able to sport flipclips :)
    There is a really nice moding thread on the other forum. a user added thumb screws to the clips.

15. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I bought a pair of flip clips and they work fine, expensive to buy if your not in the US though (postage is killer in Aus)
    Before I got my flip clips I was using two Chicago Bolts or 'Sex bolts' with some decent sized washers on them, but then I was using looped tubes not flat bands.

16. Erlkonig

Erlkonig New Member

I did shown Chinese the Flipclip idea, many people like this concept.

Please share your "bad " experience with it.

I remember the original Flipclip screw is a quick disconnet stud type but too costly to make and too pricy too buy.

17. michael247

michael247 New Member

Wow, I didn't expect that much feedback on my thread!

Don't get me wrong guys, I love the basic idea of the FlipClip and I like the design (with design I rather mean the way how it looks once it's fixed in place). I just think the product could be easily improved and be way better. For sure it would be more expensive then but I wouldn't mind paying 10 or 15 dollars.
    What I criticize is the screw. It's too fiddly to hold the clip in the right position when tightening the screw. The thread counterpart in the clip should be metal too. Probably a fine-pitch thread would be better as well.
    I would also prefer an Allen screw because an Allen wrench would be smaller to take along than a crosshead screwdriver. Some people said they would prefer a wing nut but I disagree. It wouldn't look that nice and rather look somewhat bulky.
    Edit: By the way, the Allen wrench could be included and come with the FlipClip, similar like when you buy IKEA furniture. As I said before, I wouldn't mind paying a few dollars more for it.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  18. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

Hi Mates,

I've tried FlipClips and spent some good time with it. To be honest it's really a cool thing. It's working fine even if it's a first generation product.

Screwdriver
    I agree with the screwdriver thing and that's a kind of taste to like or not like that fact you have to carry a screwdriver. I made a mini tool for this. M8 Allen bolt cut off, drilled a hole and inserted a key-ring as a handle. The Allen slot can handle a Phillips bithead. Ready to go, you can even carry it on your keys.

Lubricant
    To make the tighten process faster and extend the life / longevity of the plastic parts you can use a lubricant for the Clip's bore. Right at the thread. I used silicone for that purpose. Once it's lubricated it's "almost able" to tighten by a fingernail. But be sure you ONLY spray at the inside of the threaded tube.

Advantages
    One great point with FlipClip is the total versatility with tubes and flats. And you don't even have to slice up your frame for the looped tubes! And it holds tubes like flats, so reposition after shots is not a problem.

Warranty
    I've contacted with Nathan about: What if I use the FlipClip on my own frame? He told me "I have no problems with the mention of using the FlipClip for self made frames, however I must disclose that the product was designed specifically for the Scout and using it on any other slingshot voids any warranty or guarantee."

I think it's an absolutely correct opinion. The Clip needs a specific (dimensions) surface to work properly. But it's so cool to give a try and build a FlipClip compatible slingshot.

So it's a great product for a great price, am satisfied.

:beer:
    Tremo

19. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

I was hoping to read a thread about these.

Something I could never make for that price, I'm glad the economy of scale is swinging toward our side.:cool:

20. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

It came with it, I probably would have chosen TBG but this gives me a chance to try something different.

Love the idea of a Vampire shooter! :)