First try ..ironwood

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Ak_KiDD, May 3, 2013.

1. Ak_KiDD

Ak_KiDD New Member

this one is wet , i just shaved the bark off and i am about to seal the ends off to dry a few days before working it over.

[​IMG]

2. Saderath

Saderath Senior Member

Looks like it will be a good shooter!

3. Lars

Lars The Evil Genious

you should wrapp it with some strong string at the ends otherwise it could crack i think

4. jt-1911

jt-1911 Senior Member ProPlatinum

Nice, but a very thick handle! Are you gonna keep it this thick?

5. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

A very lovely symmetrical fork, Ak. It looks like you've got plenty of space to work your carving magic. Lots of luck with that! I think it's going to be something special.

I'm suppose to be finding desert ironwood to send to a very talented slingshot maker in Canada. I'm embarrassed [​IMG] to admit that I know nothing about our trees (this is what they call them) here in Arizona. They all look the same to me. Short, dead, and prickly. Nothing like Virginia trees.

I'm starting to feel much sympathy for the poor guy who asked me to find him some nice ironwood forks. There is no telling what I might be sending him. I hope something as nice as this.

6. Ak_KiDD

Ak_KiDD New Member

I seal the ends with paraffin as I would on my walking sticks or carving logs. Nope I plan on form fitting the handle after it dries a bit.

7. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

i can allready see a nice slingshot in there, looking forward to the finnished product!

8. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Yes, a very nice little fork! Good luck building! :)

9. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

That fork looks perfect to make a perfect slingshot. Can' t wait.