First time with metal - Two PFS

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by VWscooby, Sep 17, 2013.

1. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

So, I got given two sheets of 3mm aluminium and did the obvious thing and decided to make a couple of slingshots from it! I had only made naturals before this so decided on a PFS design as it seemed the easiest to make with my small (poor!) selection of tools! These are both made with a junior hacksaw, rasp and sandpaper.

Apologies for my very poor camera work.

Natural Birch scales with 4mm aluminium pins.
    [​IMG]

Cherry wood scales from a flooring sample.
    [​IMG]

Banded up with black Rolyan bands. (Equivalent to TBG)
    [​IMG]

Thanks

2. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Nice! I love the wood.

3. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I like the design, particularly the birch model. One thing comes to mind with me though - with the thickness of the aluminum at 3 mm, it seems to me that the point at which the bands wrap over the top may be put under more stress at that point, perhaps causing them to wear prematurely. I see you've rounded the edges, but I wonder if perhaps adding a layer of material underneath the bands (such as a scrap piece of the latex or even a small, thin piece of leather scrap) will help protect the bands from premature wear at that location. Perhaps some folks here with a bit more experience in such things can weigh in as well.

5. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

6. artons

artons New Member

Excellent work for your first try!

7. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I loved them! But I agree with etrain16, 3mm is too thin! I think that you should go on thicker aluminum to preserve the bands, easier to make it round!

8. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Thank you for the positive comments. :) I totally agree with you though etrain16. After only about 10 shots or so there is a shiny line across the bands where they go over the top. It is definitely going to affect band life. I only used the 3mm as it was all I had! I do like the idea of using some leather over the forks so may make a little modification there. I think Ill use the 3mm for a core of a larger frame in future rather than a frame in its own right.

9. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

10. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Not bad
    First try and poor tools
    I like that:)

11. YME

YME Junior Member

very nice work!

12. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

nice looking PFS's ! I like PFS's, my "preferred" frames, I agree that 3mm is a bit thin, maybe you can glue 2 (or 3) layers of aluminium sheet to get more rounded for tips ... good work !
    Cheers
    Arturo

13. G_Y

G_Y aiming the less

When the 3mm aluminium is curved like a tube segment it could fit.