First Slingshot (Repost)

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Curtis, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Curtis

Curtis New Member

*This is a re-post from the previous forum since it was lost, but relatively new*

Joerg's videos inspired me to attempt to make my own slingshot, but I made the rookie mistake of using normal plywood instead of multiplex (birch plywood). I first glued two layers of plywood together with wood glue, and let it dry in clamps for 24 hours. Then I drew out a template that resembles Joerg's "Hammerhead" design, traced it onto the plywood, and cut it out with a jigsaw. After hours of filing and sanding, I want to know if the slingshot would be safe to use with light bands, and 10 mm steel balls.

http://imgur.com/a/F02pY

I have bought some multiplex and thera band gold online, and just waiting for it to get to my door. Any tips or constructive criticism would be much appreciated!

Thanks! - Curtis

2. Courier

Courier Senior Member

The shape is quite good.
    You could oil the slingshot with lineseed oil for better resistance against water.
    Also the linseed oil lets the grain or layers of the wood come out better.
    I am already excited to see the finished one out of multiplex. :)

3. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Great job! Looks very safe to me. If you want to be 100% sure, attach some rope instead of rubber bands, clamp the frame into the vise (wrap it with a cloth first), then pull with both arms and a foot against the workbench.

If it holds, all is very well.

You can easily close the voids with a mix of epoxy and saw dust.

4. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

very nice! i think it is perfectly safe, but in doubt use the vice test