First sling weapon

Discussion in 'The latest one!' started by Valhallanow, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Valhallanow

Valhallanow New Member

I wanted to give you all an update on our very first slingshot weapon; it is a breach loading slingbow; I want my boys to be able to load it without too much straining, hence the breach loading capability. It’s currently a 30mm x 70mm oak frame construction with a steel box tube under frame fitted into it, it feels very solid with no play anywhere. It is still a work in progress at the moment, but when it snaps shut with a beautiful clunking sound it already evokes an almost Zen like satisfaction.

The green bungee on it at the moment is just to test the breaching mechanism. It has a 21” span across the posts and at least 32” of draw length from the post to the firing mechanism which I have yet to make, so I can move the firing mechanism up or down a bit.

I would like some suggestions as which to go for in respect of rubber band or tube, I have the inclination to go for the Thera band silver tubing but I am open to suggestions, as well as the type of firing mechanism to go for also. I’d like to keep it as streamlined or uncluttered as possible, suggestions really appreciated.

Regards all
    VN

Attached Files:

2. Valhallanow

Valhallanow New Member

Above Post

Sorry Admin, I appear to have put my previous post in the wrong section, feel free if needed to move it to where it is most suitable.:confused:
    thanks VN

3. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Very smart, with the 'lever-action' cocking mechanism! Looks like the project is coming along very nicely! I will let someone else give an opinion on which tubes to use, there are people here who know a lot more than myself about sling x-bows and tubular rubber.
    Still, looks good so far and I hope you and your boys are enjoying the build!

4. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

It's a great looking weapon. Theratube Silver is powerful stuff but it will put a huge strain on your bow. The black tube may also be worth considering or maybe Dankung 50/80

5. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I am sure that Valhallanow will be curious about this question too, but what is your trick to figuring tube length on slingbows Ruthie? I have some TTB I am going to be doubling and using for a 'project' but have no clue how to figure the length.

6. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

I'm afraid I'm not very scientific about it. I have a 30" draw so look to around 7" active length. But then it gets a bit complicated if there are Bunny Ears and maybe pseudotapering as well. I usually go on the apparent force delivered (going by penetration mainly) and increase pseudotapering if it seems to need more power.

7. Aussie_Al

Aussie_Al Banned

Hey ruthiexxxx, yea 50/80, or 40/70 should do the trick.

Although the Theraband silver may be faster, but I am not sure.

If you could extend the attachment, so the 40/70, is under more strain to contract faster, you are on a winner, as I know how powerful it is.

For example I have a 10 inch relaxed length which I can butterfly to 500 %, and man the speed and power of that is awesome.
    So something to think about.
    Find a way to extend the draw to to 500 to 550%, and your arrows will be lightning fast, super flat trajectory; and pretty much go clean through about anything.

Oh, and I deny here and now that I advocate any and all overkill....grin..... I am merely a very humane person.

Cheers Allan

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  8. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

I doubt that the TTS would be faster than the Dankung with ordinary weight arrows. But it chucks my 100 gramme 'junior harpoons' effortlessly. I'm really keen now to source some more 50/80 so I can try it out on a slingbow. I only had sufficient to make one doubled slingshot but I love the performance. I did make up a 6 a side of the 20/40 which shoots very well...I might try that on a slingbow in the meantime.

9. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

very cool desing, i have no idea on either the bands you should use or the trigger meganism