First Post: Need Advice.

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by GuttyC90, Feb 10, 2014.

1. GuttyC90

GuttyC90 New Member

Hey guys.

I've been looking into buying a slingshot but the only slingshots I can find in the UK are either Milbros (which I'm already using), cheapo Chinese ones (which I have and its cr*p) or the usual ones from Barnett, none of which I fancy.

I was looking at either a Hand Howitzer from the Milbro website or a Rambone from the SSC store and I was wondering whether they would be suitable for my shooting style and range.

I aim using a side grip ("gangster style") and use the left side of the left fork as my sight (I'm left handed) and I shoot anything up to 10-12 metres and I was wondering if it would be possible to aim effectively with either of those slingshots because I have found that if I'm too close to the target I have too tilt the forks quite a bit to get the elevation right, bearing in mind that I use a 75cm draw with my cheek as my anchor point.

Sorry if that doesn't make a whole lot of sense but I'm trying to put my technique down into words and its pretty hard lol

Any advice regarding which slingshot I should choose or any advice on my shooting style would be appreciated.

Cheers.

2. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

I would tHink rambone. It would produce a better angle at the forks for aiming.

And your problem with tilting has a simple fix. Instead of point ing the frame with just your arm use the whole body. Draw strait back so your arm is parrelel to the ground, and then tilt your torso at the hips. Try tHis and tell me if it works.

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

If you're a side shooter, the Rambone won't do you much good, it's an OTT hammer-grip style slingshot. Unless of course you want to shoot OTT, then it's a fine model. Milbro's are nice, but expensive. You might want to check out the slingshots by Gamekeeper John. He's in the UK and has decent prices, plus shipping will be decent on his models. I own one of his, they're nice slingshots. Here is a like for Gamekeeper John:

http://www.gamekeeper-catapults.co.uk/

4. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

+1 with what Withak said about the Rambone. It wouldn't work for you. The website he suggested looks like it might be up your alley though! Good luck. :)

5. GuttyC90

GuttyC90 New Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

Rock Slinger: The problem with my aiming is that my shots land either high or low from my aim point so I have to point one of the my forks closer to the target to bring my shots to my aim point. (this is pretty hard to describe in words without physically showing you lol)

And regarding Gamekeeper John, I've know of him from a while I just don't want to have to wait 6 weeks for my gutty to arrive! lol

Any other ideas?

Cheers

EDIT: I'm assuming "over the top" refers to how the bands are set up, am I right? Thats how my bands are set up on my old milbro right now and I seem to be doing ok with that set up using a side grip. Would the Rambone be suitable then?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Yes the bands are set up over the top of the forks, but the way the slingshot is designed, it's meant to be held in a 'hammer grip', which kind of forces you to shoot with the forks facing up. You could try side-shooting it sideways, I haven't tried it myself, but most folks I see shooting sideways use either thumb-brace or pinch-grip styles to hold their slingshot. It's worth a try.

7. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Joerg shoots it sideways in hammergrip on the Rambone user guide video. I can just about shoot it pinch grip comfortably but I have freakishly Salad-Fingers style hands.

Not that I disagree with Withak because he is taking sense, a different slingshot would be easier to shoot sideways in support grips. How about a Scout or one of Dankungs shiny offerings?

8. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I must have missed that in the user's guide. Okay, I'll have to go home and give that a try tonight. Thanks for pointing that out Scooby. I would agree that the Scout is a good model if you want to shoot sideways, it's very comfortable for that.

I have to ask - what are 'salad fingers'? I haven't heard that one before.

9. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Pic of me holding it 'pinch'

[​IMG]

Oh, Salad Fingers is an old internet cartoon that........well.....its easier to watch really.....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3iOROuTuMA[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  10. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Withak: thanks for the link, I didn't know Gamekeeper John has a website.

11. GuttyC90

GuttyC90 New Member

I suppose I could try both the Scout and the Rambone seeing as they are both pretty cheap. I actually made a quick wee slingshot that I hold hammer grip and sideways, had a few test shots today and it seems to work although I only fired about 10 shots because it's raining.

What about the Hand Howitzer from Milbro Pro Shot? Anyone had any experience?

I remember Salad Fingers, you wonder what's going on in the creators head if that's what he can come up with!

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

His website is fairly new. I think it just opened a couple of months ago. Prior to that, you could only order via email directly with him.

13. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Scoobs, that salad fingers fellow is disturbing, I bet Mrs. Salad fingers is a happy lady.

14. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Yeah, he is a strange one! My missus says I look like him but she is a cruel lady ;)

I love the look of the Hand Howitzer and even made my own. It was really comfy holding sideways but failed the stress test so I didn't get to shoot it :(

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  15. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Okay the Salad Fingers thing definitely ranks up there with some of the most twisted isht I've ever seen. Yet, I can't stop watching. What is that?!

If your wife thinks you look like salad fingers, then I'd say you've got a bit of a problem. Dang man, I can't unsee that.

16. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Haha, it is a little disconcerting to be fair! Many years ago, the first time my then new girlfriend saw me drunk me and my mate were doing salad fingers impressions in the pub using straws. Since then she says it always reminds her of me if she sees it.

Im surprised she is still with me.......

17. CJW

CJW New Member

I think you can get a Scout from Simple Shot in the UK. I believe Nathan said something about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Slingshot Forum

18. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

If you are side shooting look at pocketpredator.com. I have always wanted a seal sniper I thinck offset handles are key to ergonomics in side shooting.

19. jack-davies

jack-davies New Member

20. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014