First marble break

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Jeremy, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I was shooting today and had my first marble break. Luckily it did not break while shooting it. I think I hit it with another marble, which caused it to break in half.

Attached Files:

2. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

My catch box is littered with broken glass. From time to time I will sweep it out with a paint brush and fold some duct tape to get the rest. I brak more marbles than I lose.

3. dolomite

dolomite Banned

what flipgun said, the white ones break easily, especially when you forget to remove them before shooting steel.

4. Jeremy

I'm surprised they have lasted as long as they have to be honest. I have had these particular marbles for about 17 years. My dad and I carried slingshots to shoot into trees when we were deer hunting. After a while we simply started throwing larger rocks without the use of a slingshot, so they got put away and forgotten.

I'm glad I started looking into archery and then slingshots to prompt mu pulling out my old wrist-rocket. This is a fantastic hobby, and far cheaper than archery or shooting guns.

5. dolomite

dolomite Banned

in my heart, my springfield scout squad will ever reign supreme, but you can't shoot .308 in a shop. slingshots are good stress relief. i hit my first golf tee from 7m today and it was a better feeling than a 100m rifle bullseye on open sights.

6. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Joerg made a video testing the strenght of marble. Do a search for " Can marble kill?" if you didn' t see it already.
    Glass marbles are pretty strong.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  7. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

ah, breaking marbles, i've soon lots of those. usually on purpose, they'll give an impressive spray of glas shards when you hit them! :D

8. Jeremy

I was rather surprised that the white Trumark marble didn't shatter when it was hit, it just split in half. I can tell where it was hit though.

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Totally agree guys. I have a hard time even getting a chance to shoot an airgun on my property without someone getting upset. I can get away with airsoft, but it doesn't hit very hard. Slingshots are a nice way to shoot inside or outside, have some fun and not spend too much money. I belong to an indoor range where I can shoot my pistols, but for rifles, it's a 90-120 minute drive to find a place you can legally shoot. All the rifle ranges nearby are filled to capacity with members and can't take anyone new for 2-4 years!

10. Jeremy

I had another marble on marble hit today while shooting my black-tube Trumark. Unlike the last time, the marble shattered into many little pieces. The marbles went through one magazine and into a second.

11. Haze

Haze New Member

Interesting. I hadn't thought the marbles might break. I haven't shot any. What I don't get is how they hit each other? I am thinking of shooting into my new catch box and they would, I expect, just drop onto the bottom of the box. How are you guys getting marble on marble hits? Or are you shooting hard targets?

12. Jeremy

I was shooting at a soda can that had two magazines behind it. Behind the magazines was a box stuffed with old newspapers in front of more magazines. The first marble stuck in the magazine, the second marble hit the first stuck marble.

13. Haze

Haze New Member

Can't say you're not a good then! :cool: