first laminated slingshot!-by artons

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by artons, Aug 8, 2013.

1. artons

artons New Member

hi folks, i have been thinking about a laminated slingshot for a while and i thought: which is the best laminated SS you can find on internet? a flippinout SS of course!
    so i decided to copy the design and "tried" to give it a glossy finish.
    this is my first attempt with varnish, and i discovered how it's hard to use it, it took 3 days for drying! and maybe i should apply other layers.
    i'm not totally satisfied yet, but it's the first try, i can improve my technique.
    ok, about the slingshot, i used a 4mm laminated core glued with 7mm iroko wood scales and the palmswell is my usual padauk wood.
    i used dark and light wengè for the fork tips and a lamination of walnut and mahogany.
    this is it (i think), if you have suggestions on how to apply varnish i apreciate it really much. :D

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0006.jpg

hope you liked :)

2. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

Congraulations artons, this came out nicely :)

I hope you will enjoy shooting with this SS.

I'm not a varnish expert and I prefer some semi matte finish and used steel wool to manipulate the glossiness of the piece. If you try out using steel wool you have to wait till the piece is totally dried. I used varnish for rows and boats a really tough one. Filled a can (or used the original) and sank knife handles into for a few times. Just had to watch out for drops at the bottom.

Have a nice day mate.

3. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

i loves it !!!

j

4. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

A good way to make the varnish works easier is making a mix of half varnish half solvent , using it on the first 2 layers, and then adding more varnish to the mix, and doing aditional layers. The last layer can be made from pure varnish. Becomes smooth and shinny.

5. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Looks great Artons! Love the design! I haven't worked with varnish itself in many years, but I have played with both spray-on and brush-on polyurethane finish. I find them all to be difficult because I lack patience!
    You did very nice work!

6. Otees

Otees Another Member

I don't know what to say....

7. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Maybe what you are trying to say is "Very very very very beautifully quadruple-nice!"? Because that's what I was about to say :D

8. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

That laminated looks super. Great job!
    About the varnish, i think you have to light sand it between layers.

9. artons

artons New Member

i really have to thank you all guys, for the nice words and for the useful advices :D
    be sure i'll have great consideration of them!
    thanks a lot again! :)

10. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

[​IMG] Lovely job, Artons!

I have no experience with glossy finishes either.

From some vids I've watched, it seems like a lot of work and a very slow build-up process. Also quite a bit of sanding between layers I think, then finishing with buffing and wax. Way too many steps for me to every TRY something like this. I applaud your willing and patience to work through the process.

It would definitely challenge my patience. :p

11. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Very beautiful slingshot Artons! For your first attempt with laminating and varnish it turned out really nice. I agree with TokSick and Thistle. A varnish needs several layers with grindings in between. It's helpful to heat up the varnish to 30 C in a water quench. The varnish will drift much better and you will safe time with the grinding.

12. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Realy nice SS. Good job.
    Is it made with your new bandsaw?

13. artons

artons New Member

i thought about this, but when i applied the varnish there was 37° outside.
    today i sanded the singshot and applied another layer, i'll show the results an september, i'm gonna go on holiday :D

no, this is an old project, i made the fork about 2 months ago, dunno why but i never liked it, there always was a sort of antipathy between us ;)

thanks for the kind words, i apreciate it, in effects a lot of patience is needed, especially for who is used to beewax finish :p

14. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

I really like the contrasting colors you chose in your wood.

Beautiful work.