First Homemade Shooter

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by GoodRum, Jan 3, 2014.

1. GoodRum

GoodRum Slingshot Newb

Finished my first slingshot on New Years Eve. Its a Rambone made from Birch multiplex and finished with 600 grit sandpaper and 2 coats of Watco Danish Oil. I think it turned out pretty nice for a first slingshot even though I messed up and misaligned the pieces of plywood when glueing them together. O have yet to band it up, but I have 2 layered TBG coming in the mail in a couple of days.

I would like to hear y'alls honest opinion and any tips you could give. Also I am thinking about making one from a natural fork next. Any suggestions on what type wood or certain types of forks I should look for would be great.

Thanks,

Goody

Attached Files:

2. Tubes

Tubes weird kid in the corner

That's your first? You, sir, are cool. :cool:

3. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

4. GoodRum

GoodRum Slingshot Newb

Thanks guys!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Slingshot Forum mobile app

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nice job on your first build! A Rambone is a bit of a tough one to cut your eyeteeth on, but you've made a great start. Keep it up.

6. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Good finishing work- the red stripes work well. Birch can be a b!tch to work with at times, but as long as you rasp and file into the center and not outwards you're in good shape. For a natural, as long as it isn't a Fir tree (pine, spruce, etc) you should be okay. Just find a fork that, when you look at it, you can see the finished product. Personally, I uses rasps exclusively for stripping and shaping naturals. If the fork is still green, you can use the search function for tips on how to microwave a fork into useable density.

-Wild Bill

7. GoodRum

GoodRum Slingshot Newb

Thanks for the advice WildBill and the kinds words Withak! I found a pretty nice fork in my backyard off of an unknown tree with the "flaky" bark. It might be some type of birch variant so I will try it out and see.

8. GoodRum

GoodRum Slingshot Newb

Sorry for the double post, but here's a picture I took in case any of y'all are tree experts ;)

Attached Files:

9. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

U did very good for your first sling, some advise is just to round the edges more on the fork so u don't cut the bands. Other than that your gold. And I think that tree may be part of the eucalyptus family, so I would try NOT to use that wood. Search for some dogwood(best in my opinion), oak. Walnut, yew, any fruit tree, elm, honeysuckle, ash,Osage orange, etc. u don't want soft woods or anything that grows toooooo fast such us eucalyptus and pine. I hope this helped :D

10. Really nice sling especially for your first time!
    I agree with what is posted above that you should round the edges abit more but it is a great ss!
    You could also use some rasps on the edges to make the ply wood all flush with the other laminations so that it looks more like one big bit of ply

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

11. Tubes

That would be crate murtel. Got plenty of it where I live.

12. Tubes

BTW- crate murtel is a pretty tough wood, and for as long as I've worked with it, it won't split too easily.

13. WildBill

Goodrum, where are you located? Can you give a country, state or region? I have that tree narrows down to three possibilities but need to know where it is.

-Wild Bill

14. GoodRum

GoodRum Slingshot Newb

Tennessee

15. WildBill

Without seeing any leaves, I suspect that it's a Sycamore.

-Wild Bill

16. GoodRum

GoodRum Slingshot Newb

Yeah, we cut the top of the tree off in the winter so it can grow back in the spring. I will do some further research and try to get back to you guys

17. GoodRum

GoodRum Slingshot Newb

Ok so I finally figured out that it is in fact a crepe myrtle. Thanks for everone's help on this, and now I just have to convince my mom to let me cook a tree in the microwave :D

18. Tubes

ohmygawd i have the same problem...