First failure

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by beaverIII73, Dec 28, 2013.

1. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

Well I guess it has to happen some time. When I went to quench the blade it cracked. This sucks. After hours of work to shape and clean up the blade it cracks on one of the last steps. I even had the handle started. I hope then next one doesn't crack when I heat treat it because I made them both out of the same file. Well it serves the the little sucker right it gave me a lot of trouble when I was doing the bevel. Man it would have been i nice little skinner.

Attached Files:

2. CJC

CJC BIG ELK HUNTER

That really sucks that it cracked! Looked like a nice knife.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That really stinks. Any chance of salvaging part of that blade for say a little paring knife or little wood carving blade?

4. That sucks :( You can always melt it down and reforge it though :)

5. beaverIII73

Well I'm going to try and wield it at work on Monday. But the good news is the second one I was working on didn't crack woot!

6. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I'm sorry, BeaverIII73, but from now on, you just suck. You cracked a cheap-a$$ file that you tried to make into a kewl knife. You might-as-well have cracked Excalibur. For the next 60 years, you must hang your head in shame for six hours every morning (yes, you now have to get up early, too) to lament this event, and every evening you must whip yourself in the back with a nuclear wet noodle until your skin glows green. Furthermore, you must give 256% of your income to the, 'Save the Files' foundation to help prevent other folks from ruining the lives of innocent files.

With all that said, lemme also say, 'So you cracked a file. It's the first of many. Keep building, refining and making kewl stuff!'

-Wild Bill

7. beaverIII73

Thanks Bill for putting in a way that makes since. You have a way with words.

8. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Temper, weld, harden, temper?

..just some more work..

Be