First attempts

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by VWscooby, Feb 3, 2014.

1. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

One thing I've noticed lately is the high standard of peoples first attempts at making a slingshot. For some I think the range of experience and advice here on the forum helps them to plan and execute a build to such a level, others are just those annoying people with a talent they make look easy!

For some of us (well...me) we jump in with much enthusiasm but no clue! The excitement of building a slingshot takes over and while we may end up with something usable, it often makes us blush when it sees the light of day!

I'd be interested to see first attempts that people haven't posted, if they are embarrassing so much the better! I think it's a confidence builder for some if they see others first attempts not looking perfect and it gives a timeline on improvement too.

So, here is my first homemade slingshot. It's a natural Laurel branch made with a large hand saw and sandpaper. Sanded to 800grit, Linseed oiled then polished with a teaspoon! Is it embarrassing? I think so, mainly because my other half says the fork tips look obscene! I'm not sure if I will rework the forks or just leave it for posterity.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing peoples dark secrets ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

You're kidding, right? That looks great for a first attempt. Phallic fork tips or no, it's a fine piece of work, one to be proud of.

My first completed fork (actually my second start, but the first finished) was an applewood fork I made for Dolomite for the Global Trade 2013. It was my first completed, my first trade and my first debut on the forum. It did have a natural ergonomic shape that I managed not to destroy while I worked the wood. At the time, I was actually pretty pleased, and Dolomite gave it more praise than I think it deserved (thanks D), but it was very important to me because it represented my first real attempt at a completed slingshot. And for that, it holds a special place in the ranks of my creations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Two wonderful forks. If it's sturdy and shoots straight, what else matters? Excellent finish on both. Both make good use of the natural shape of the wood to aid ergonomics. Although I like both forks, I have to say Withak's looks like it would be the better grip, but that's more a function of the base stick than design intention, I think. I can't build a gun better than a zip gun or a bow any better than I could at 6, but even one of my forks will be perfectly accurate in the hands of a Bill Hays or dgui/pfshooter.

4. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Yup my evolution is this ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1391471271.682849.jpg
    To this ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1391471308.141230.jpg

Eat, Sleep, Slingshots

5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I like the finger grooves on that one Withak, comfy looking :)

4Foruglenncoco, I like the progress pics! It would be cool if people could post their first and their latest, interesting to see :)

6. jurassicbark2000

jurassicbark2000 jurassicbark2000

I

Very nice pieces , my first attempt"s were no where near as nice come to think of it neither are my most recent endeavours

7. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I like your recent builds! Go on, put up a pic of your first....you know you want to ;)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  8. dolomite

dolomite Banned

E, it's still one of my favorites, still easily the most comfortable, everyone loves the silky matte finish. I won't let anyone shoot it though, just me;).

Scoobs, that's a really nice first, better than mine. I like the John Thomas looking fork tips, it is made out of wood:eek:.

9. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

Here is my first and latest work. There is a big difference in my work. I have learned so my about how to approach a build just from reading everyones posts and all of the wonderful pics that everyone shares.

Attached Files:

10. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I would be happy with either of them but that perspex Rambone is a fantastic looking thing.

I was going to take a timeline photo of mine but I got inspired (carried away?) and had the jigsaw out from repairing an aviary earlier so cut out a couple of templates and started work. Its getting late now so time to tidy until tomorrow I guess :(

[​IMG]

11. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

my building "career" LOL ! left to right
    1) the first one, a huge hammer grip TTF, retired
    2) Saderath "palm swell" Fang in plywood and oil painted, took me over a month :eek: many "regressions", my first learning shooter, still active
    3) PFS !!! a curvy in Picohio
    4) the BIG CONUS in Picohio, finger tips grip experiment, a great shooter
    after building #2 I quit building for a year :p
    regards

Attached Files:

12. PaulPawx3

PaulPawx3 Member

After I have seen all of the awesome work that has been posted since I joined, I didn't have the heart to post my first attempt. I have not completed it to the point where I think it is finished, but I am going to shut my eyes and post it anyway. I watched how Nathan Masters done such amazing work on his videos putting different materials together, so this was my first almost completed attempt at that process. Sorry for the bad background, I need to take photography lesson from White Hawk:D

Attached Files:

13. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

My first (and second) have already been posted (and destroyed through use)

14. jurassicbark2000

jurassicbark2000 jurassicbark2000

Very nice and unusual looking piece i like beaucoup

15. RAWICE

RAWICE New Member

Good job!

Sent from my iPad using Slingshot Forum

16. dutch_slingshot

dutch_slingshot Just a Dutch guy

i love the dark wood contrast! Paul paw!
    also we share the same name!!