Finishing touches

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Viks, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Viks

Viks Member

I have a question about linseed oil, after i cover my slingshot with linseed oil and it dries out, should it be ''greasy'' or not, tell me what to do. I have been using paraffin oil for finish and it looks good but many people say linseed oil is the best finish for this kind of stuff.

2. Mulgarat

Mulgarat New Member

I'm using a soaked towel for finishing things with lineseed oil, also a brush will work.
    My linseed-finished slingshot are not greasy, and after using them, my hands arent greasy, too.
    Hint: uncooked linseedoil takes a few days to dry. Re-oiling now and than is sometimes a good idea.

I also have a question to you: paraffinoil makes a waxy finish to the slingshot, right?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014

3. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

I have used boiled linseed oil on most of my naturals. I brush on very liberally with a cheap sponge brush, let sit for a while and wipe dry with towel. Seems dry to touch immediately but I let it dry for a day and then proceed with several coats of polyurethane. Never any greasy feel. It does seem like my SS get darker over time which I like.

4. Viks

Viks Member

Its just looking good, you should try it.

5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

If you are using a linseed soaked towel make sure you put it in a bucket of water after you have finished with it. Material saturated with linseed oils can spontaneously combust.

And like said anything finished with it shouldnt be greasy after a couple of days :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Agreed. Linseed oil is a 'drying' oil, meaning that after it cures, it shouldn't feel 'greasy' at all. Time to cure is a variable though depending on the wood you're using, humidity, temperature and how much you use. When I use it, I usually give 24 hours between coats of oil and at least 24 hours after the last coat of oil before I apply any kind of sealing finish like Varathane.

7. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

I think most wood workers apply the oil, let it dry for a few hours and then wipe off the excess.

8. dolomite

dolomite Banned

With raw linseed oil, long soaking times are not necessary. Wipe on, wait 10-15 min, wipe off. Just that easy. Things are much easier when following directions. I like the wood to stay closer to the original look, long soaks tend to make things too dark for me. After oil, I like a paste wax to finish with a silky matte finish.