The Slingshot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about linseed oil, after i cover my slingshot with linseed oil and it dries out, should it be ''greasy'' or not, tell me what to do. I have been using paraffin oil for finish and it looks good but many people say linseed oil is the best finish for this kind of stuff.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm using a soaked towel for finishing things with lineseed oil, also a brush will work.
My linseed-finished slingshot are not greasy, and after using them, my hands arent greasy, too.
Hint: uncooked linseedoil takes a few days to dry. Re-oiling now and than is sometimes a good idea.

I also have a question to you: paraffinoil makes a waxy finish to the slingshot, right?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have used boiled linseed oil on most of my naturals. I brush on very liberally with a cheap sponge brush, let sit for a while and wipe dry with towel. Seems dry to touch immediately but I let it dry for a day and then proceed with several coats of polyurethane. Never any greasy feel. It does seem like my SS get darker over time which I like.

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using a soaked towel for finishing things with lineseed oil, also a brush will work.
My linseed-finished slingshot are not greasy, and after using them, my hands arent greasy, too.
Hint: uncooked linseedoil takes a few days to dry. Re-oiling now and than is sometimes a good idea.

I also have a question to you: paraffinoil makes a waxy finish to the slingshot, right?
Its just looking good, you should try it.

·
2,513 Posts
If you are using a linseed soaked towel make sure you put it in a bucket of water after you have finished with it. Material saturated with linseed oils can spontaneously combust.

And like said anything finished with it shouldnt be greasy after a couple of days :)

·
aka Whitehawk!
4,700 Posts
If you are using a linseed soaked towel make sure you put it in a bucket of water after you have finished with it. Material saturated with linseed oils can spontaneously combust.

And like said anything finished with it shouldnt be greasy after a couple of days :)
Agreed. Linseed oil is a 'drying' oil, meaning that after it cures, it shouldn't feel 'greasy' at all. Time to cure is a variable though depending on the wood you're using, humidity, temperature and how much you use. When I use it, I usually give 24 hours between coats of oil and at least 24 hours after the last coat of oil before I apply any kind of sealing finish like Varathane.

·
Banned
3,613 Posts
With raw linseed oil, long soaking times are not necessary. Wipe on, wait 10-15 min, wipe off. Just that easy. Things are much easier when following directions. I like the wood to stay closer to the original look, long soaks tend to make things too dark for me. After oil, I like a paste wax to finish with a silky matte finish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts