Finished my first 2 + introduction

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by toe2thaknee, May 6, 2013.

1. toe2thaknee

toe2thaknee Shot Slinger

Joerg's video on the condom slingshot made me laugh out loud, and from there I stumbled upon this forum.

I've been making fishing lures (crankbaits, floaters, etc) for a few years, and because my tacklebox is overflowing I was stoked to get back into slingshots (I had quite a few daisy's as a kid).

Process: drew blueprints, used bandsaw, router, and finished it off with a dremel and sanding. Very fun process, I now see why so many of you have numerous slingshots. Next project... I might play around with some deer antlers or try a natural shooter.

Walnut soaked in Linseed Oil, with WD40 sparingly rubbed into it (experimenting)
    [​IMG]

Zebrawood + plywood (had scraps) finished with linseed oil and a polycrylic coating over the multiplex
    [​IMG]

I've been lurking a lot on all of the different posts, and it has been very informative and entertaining. If it weren't for you guys and all of the information posted here, I wouldn't have been able to design these two slingshots, or get the proper bands, etc.

so thanks :)

2. BrPio

BrPio .

Nice work. Hope to see more.

3. Saderath

Saderath Senior Member

Very good job on both!

4. Very nice Work and Slingshots!
    Hope to see more!

Joe

5. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Very nice! I especially like the second one!

6. Spatzenterrorist

Spatzenterrorist New Member

really great slingshots....i like both a loth!!

7. Courier

Courier Senior Member

I really like the second one. Zebrawood looks just amazing!
    Also I love the gifs. It is a very great way of presentation.
    Please, keep it up! :)

8. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

Excellent job on your first two slingshots. I really LOVE the ergo walnut tho.

Since I'm in learning mode, I am very curious about your thoughts on the WD-40. In lieu of bees wax?

9. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Great work !!!The finish:cool:and the zebrawood is amazing!!!

10. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

great work, especcially the second one is very pretty!

11. toe2thaknee

toe2thaknee Shot Slinger

I wouldn't use the WD40 again, I used it as a last step in thought that it would seal it off, but really it just darkened the finish a bit, and smoothed the wood grain. I soaked it in a few coats of wd and polished it with steel wool; not really worth the effort in my opinion.

12. toe2thaknee

toe2thaknee Shot Slinger

thanks, it turned out a lot better than I had imagined; I still have quite a bit of zebrawood left, so I think I might make a few more with it :)

13. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I think the gif presentation is great.... that' s why i stole your idea for my last one:eek:
    Thankzzz

14. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

#2 is the star of the show. Walnut is a pretty oily wood and BLO overs a lot of the character. Tru-Oil is better for walnut.

15. Lars

Lars The Evil Genious

two cool slingshots