finished knife slingshot! - theartofweapons

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by The Art Of Weapons, Oct 13, 2013.

1. hey!
    today I just finished making my knife slingshot!
    it to ages and was really hard to make but I think that it was worth it!
    the slingshot is made out of multiplex ply, oak, thin ply, and Some acrylic.
    the knife it's made from some 3 mm knife making carbon steel that I have heat treated up to about 50-60 rw
    the knife is held into the handle by 2 strong magnets!

Attached Files:

2. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Really cool!

Great job Art :D

3. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

nice

but there is a big difference between 50 rw and 60 rw, how did you harden and temper your blade?

50 sucks 60 is sweet..just my humble opinion

still.... love the idea

4. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Love the color TAOW and like always a great job :)

J is the knife sharp?

5. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

It really doesn't matters the rw of the blade.......the idea and execution are awesome!!!

6. well i heated up the blade until it was non magnetic and then i quenched it in motor oil. then i temperd the blade in my oven at 425 degrease f for 2 hours and let it cool
    i just guessed the rw :)
    it was really hared to sharpen though because it was so hard!

7. the knife is razor sharp!
    it passes the paper test easily after i used a wet stone to finish up the edge!

8. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

9. thanks!

10. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Just a cool idea

which you made become real!

I like that!

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Wow, TAOW, nice combo you've made there. I'm really impressed with the work some of the young folks such as yourself are turning out. Great job.

12. zurdoman95

zurdoman95 Member

slingshots and knives always look good together. good job men

13. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

then it should be fine
    if you know exactly what the steel is you can find lists with exactly the temp and time to get your blade to a good rw like a-2, vg-10, O-1 or sandvick steels

really cool idea :cool:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  14. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Some people temper there blades at 600 f or centigrade I'm not sure is there a major effect ?
    The temper not the temperature diff between the two lol
    J

15. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

the time and heat for tempering is different for every different steel type
    and it makes a lot of difference to the knife

how bridle how tough how easy to sharpen and how long it is able to hold the edge

that's why some steels are preferd for knife making, and others aren't for example 420 stainless is not that good, its soft and don't hold the edge very long, O1 steel is much better, its harder, hard enough to hold the edge a long time but not that hard that it chips out easy

16. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

big fan of your videos and style! keep up the good work!

17. BrPio

BrPio .

Very nice, genius design. One badesmithing trick for checking hardness. I keep by my forge and shop number 60 rebar, a hardened railroad spike, a bastard file and a 4in framing nail. If the blade can shave the nail its around 50rw. If it shaves the rebar its around 55. If it shaves the spike its over 60. If it shaves the file its 75 or more. And a quick tempering method; heat the spine of the blade with a torch tell it turns blue than straw (no glowing). You'll end up with a differential temper and a much tougher blade. peace.

18. thanks for all of the tips for the heat treat process!
    I bought my steel from a local place which supply's the factory that makes the bear grilles machete!
    i think that it is 01 tool steel but i am not sure.
    it did come with heat treat instructions for how to get the 'optimum hardness' but it did not sat the rw of the steel after heat treat.
    i followed the instructions and the knife is a really good hardness!

19. SimpleShot

SimpleShot Everything Slingshots!

Very nice! Slingshots with blades will get into your blood, I made one... then another and another and another. How can you have a better combo than a knife and a slingshot in one?? Looking forward to seeing V 2.0