Finally left the ball and chain of Facebook!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by VWscooby, Dec 1, 2013.

1. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Its amazing what a big part of modern life Facebook has become, and a little scary too! It has become the only way that I communicate and keep in touch with so many friends and family (I live several hundred miles away from most of them) and its the easiest (laziest?) way of talking to people.

It now means I have to make an effort to stay in touch, that can only be a good thing right?! :)

Does mean I will probably spend more time building slingshots and on here so its all good ;)

2. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Facebook never really took a hold in my life... I was "lucky" enough to accept too many invitations from people that don't mean anything to me early on, so every time I log in I see tons of things I don't care about at all. So I leave immediately.

Good for you that you left it behind. More time for SLINGSHOTS!

Sometimes I am glad that glue needs time to set... otherwise I wouldn't leave that workshop much at all :)

3. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

I couldn't do it. I mean, I get why people don't like FB and don't want to use it. I lost touch with my biological mother and little half-brother for many years, I was able to find her on FB. We reconnected and I was able to develop a relationship with my only somewhat blood-related sibling. It is also a way I've been able to keep in touch with old friends and family that are miles away. My husband's family live in California, and this is how we are able to stay connected and share photos of our lives with each other.

4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I was a member for literally 2 days, I was looking for my cousin, then I found things about him that made me realize that I really couldn't be bothered with finding him. Thus ended my facyspace experience.

5. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Well I dabble a toe in facebook on my wife's account from time to time.

But I know that all too many virus's and malware are designed to use facebook to set the hook.

I think if my daughter had to give up her phone and facebook for a week it would kill her.

So I mostly regard it like it was a stray 140 lb pit bull that showed up in your back yard. I don't shoot it without cause, but I control how much access it gets into my house. It may be friendly, and helpful today, but who knows what it could do tomorrow?

6. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Bad analogy, don't continue the BS pitbulls are a bad breed rubbish. Shame on you sir. Dolomite agrees with his daddy that bully breeds are misunderstood by media scared people. Some of the best people I've met were pitbulls.

7. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Dolo I'm sure you and I could argue this till the cows come home and not agree.

Point 1 Name any other single breed of dog who have bitten humans as often, and have the potential for major damage?

I'm not talking cocker spaniels here.

Point 2 ok so perhaps I should have used a different breed. Lets call it a mongrel. This thread wasn't about pit bulls or your love for them. I used them because most people see them as a threat. That is a fact.

We won't agree about the breed so there is no point in discussing it except for me to say a Pit bull will do what a Black Lab would never even consider.

8. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Pitbulls are like any other breed- they're only as good as their owner.

-Wild Bill

9. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Well done!

(I had to lower defense on my computer to even be able to load
    this thread- facebook as well as twitter are being blocked!- ain´t that nice?)

In my world there is no FAKEBOOK, Twitter or anything.
    stepping into a world like this forum was to me sort of
    exploring the internet 2.0..
    I had only used it for information, entertainment aso..

I´m with Dolo: The pitbulls in his his world, seen from his perspective
    are good persons!-

The heritage of that breed is that many mh.. mental "lowriders"
    burnt the name of that breed..

As Gerhard Polt said: "You know, if I encounter a pack of
    Pitbulls engaging a man, I won´t interfere.."

over. out.

won´t visit this fakebook thread again (bothers me to lower defense..)

Greetings,

Be

10. dolomite

dolomite Banned

If you cared to do a little research you'd find the adored golden retriever to be the worst offender , back lab second in most studies so that part is BS at best. People find guns to be a threat but you never bashed guns. Bully breed bites are reported 1000 times more frequently than all other breeds. Pitbull isn't even a breed btw, the American Pitbull terrier is a breed and they never get anywhere near 140lbs. Pitbull is an old term referring to any dog used in pit fighting, you'd find the loved lab retriever and rotties on that list as well as german sheperd dog-all "good" breeds. I find your lack of knowledge on the subject to be exactly what the mainstream media covets, scared and uninformed individuals spewing hate about what they don't know. Like I already said...shame sir, shame. I've half a mind to say what I really think of you but you are nowhere worth getting banned over. Another one for the ignore list;).

11. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

I never signed on. Resisted it for a couple years. Then last year, just as I was about to reconsider,I got offered a new job. And at that same time, I saw stories about how prospective employers are now demanding, as a condition of employment, the password to your FB account.... Suffice to say that while I am not at all ashamed of my life, there are aspects of it that many folks would likely find objectionable lol

12. Courier

Courier Senior Member

Never used it. Will never use it. All I have to say.

13. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I don't know about the laws where your from but here in Oz thats illegal, its a massive breach of our privacy laws.
    However anything you make public can be used against you as its legally obtainable. And if I remember correctly you can now legally be served a summons to go to court through facebook.

With so many things going to facebook these days its kind of unavoidable for me. My previous employer (computer retail and repairs) started a facebook page and wanted the techs to admin it which required me to get an account, being unaware of my rights at the time and very naive I signed up.

These days i use it to keep in touch with my parents as they live at the otherside of the country, and our working patterns dont mesh for a phone conversation.

14. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

I also have known some fine pitbulls.
    HOWEVER.

Statistics don't lie. Two breeds account for 73% of fatal dog attacks on humans. You already know which: Pitbulls and rottweilers, with pitbulls being the large majority of those attacks.

And we all know why. Try one day to train a Maltese to be loyal to one owner. The pitbull is bred to be loyal that way. Try to train the Maltese to bite someone's face off. It might nip at your heel for a second, until you reach down... then its tail will wag in anticipation of being stroked. The pitbull? They are bred to clamp on and not let go, and their mouths are bhig enough to encompass your face, and they are big and strong, etc. The pitbull will see the hand coming toward it and attack it.

There's a reason every toughguy gangsta gets himself a pitbull. Shepherds and Dobermans no longer suffice.

But yeah, I've known a few fine pitbulls.

15. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Facebook. Not my favorite place by a long shot. I do have an account because some folks I know simply use it as their primary form of communication now. People are leaving email and many folks are ditching their landline phones. The fact of the matter is that demand for services like FB, Twitter, Instagram and the like is what drives their popularity. Sure, I don't like it, but the younger generations are driving the change. I can't help but think about my wife's parents. They don't own a computer, so no internet, but even they recognize they ever increasing need to be online. Just as the growth of the internet, emails and even text messages all received less than stellar praise as each technology emerged, they have become an integral part of our communication. FB is just the latest iteration, and it's one of the most important to the younger generations. Fact of the matter is, for certain jobs if you don't have an active social site presence, you're not going to be in the running for that job.

So no, I don't like it, but I'm not going to turn completely away from what has turned into a very important tool for communication. I will simply continue to use things like email, even though a growing number of folks I know don't even bother checking their email any longer.

16. dolomite

dolomite Banned

simply not true. Its that pitbull attacks are REPORTED in the media and nearly all other dog attacks are not. Get educated on the subject. my ignore list is filling quickly.

17. AngelicScars

Does anyone know what bullies were bred for in the past? Nanny dogs. Families LEFT their small children with these dogs. They were bred to watch over these kids, keep them safe, and stay loyal to the family. The breed has a bad name due to terrible owners and the media.
    Any breed of dog can be trained to attack and attack hard.

18. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Thanks Jen! I figured the haters may have looked at the breed standard, the only breed standard to require the dog to be good with children that I know of is the staffy. Dolomite gives 3 woofs to Jen! BTW, my daughter is 1 month old and I trust dolo with her more than nearly anyone-humans included! He's so sweet with her, gives the gentlest kisses and lays his big ole head on her feet, so adorable!

19. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I'm a door-to-door salesman (or I was until very recently) and there are only two breeds of dogs that, when I'm talking to people, cause the most problems. I'm not a dog-person myself, but I've never had any trouble with a pitbull in my 15 years of selling- or any other breed of big dog. The two breeds that I have been bit by- and quite often to the chagrin of their owners, are Jack Russell Terriers and Chihuahuas. I can't tell you how many times I've been bit or nipped at by these two types of dogs, and usually the owners are present when it happens. They're embarrassed by it but seem helpless to stop them.

-Wild Bill

20. AngelicScars

I'm honestly not shocked by this.