Final Natural from Bushmaster

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by bigdh2000, Nov 8, 2014.

1. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Bushmaster sent me three natural forks in a trade. One was completed and returned as promised - the finest natural I have ever worked. Another was given Indian Teak tips and was added to my arsenal. It was used regularly. Last weekend a young man (12), who has no father figure in his life, came to visit with his mom. We shot up my catchbox for a while and he caught the bug while falling in love with this second fork from Bushmaster. I made sure his mom had it to put under the Christmas tree for him.

...then I remembered Bushmaster had given me three forks...

First let me say, if Bushmaster ever offers you natural forks, DROP EVERYTHING AND TRADE. I have never worked finer forks in my life. He lives where the trees grow slow (tight rings), are just hard enough to be very strong but just soft enough to work easily. Every single one he sent me practically carved itself.

Not a clue what wood this is but it was a pleasure to work, and unless Bushmaster sends me more naturals to work, this one is never leaving my possession.

Sanded to 600 grit, two coats of Tung Oil and four coats of lacquer, complete re-sanding to remove all exterior lacquer (lacquer was only used to seal the pores), wiped in rubbing alcohol and give my signature wax polishing wheel treatment.

Hope you enjoy the pictures below.

2. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Pictures

Attached Files:

3. Jeb

Jeb Baba Hunter

Beautiful blonde, Dan. Great work, as always.

4. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Thanks.

5. Drew_Bilbrey

Drew_Bilbrey Drew Bilbrey

Ooooh. That's a sweet looking natty Dan!

6. Whittler

Whittler New Member

Nice one! Looks like it's going to shoot good.

7. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Thanks. I think I made out like a bandit on the trade that got me this.
    Thanks. Will band it up when I get a chance. By the time I finished with it I had already banded 9 slingshots this morning. My hands were on strike.

8. Gniaffron

Gniaffron Junior Member

Very nice one Dan!

9. TheNewSlingshotGuy

TheNewSlingshotGuy AKA- "The Raccoon"

That was very nice of you Dan! It's gonna be like " A Christmas Story" for that kid, only with slingshots instead of a Red Ryder BB gun! :)

10. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Beautiful work! :) spread the disease!

11. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Thanks. I had been waiting all day for a chance to post these pictures. Finally got to it when my boy was going to bed.
    Thanks. I cannot stand that movie anymore. My wife and father-in-law watch it a million times every Christmas season. They even have collector's edition DVDs...but I do know the scene you are talking about. I still think the scene in the Chinese restaurant is the best. Fra, ra, ra, ra, rah!
    Thanks. I have to keep up with WildBill. He's winning.

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Great fork Dan - love the smooth lines and the light grain. The shape is very reminiscent of Saderath's work. I really like that chalice style you've picked. Great stuff and great story too. I'm sure that kid is going to be thrilled.

13. bigdh2000

bigdh2000 Administrator

Thanks. That's high praise since I think Saderath makes the finest slingshots around - simple and profound. I just go with what feels right and have no idea what it is called. Chalice style it is then.

I hope the kid loves his.