Favorite Power Tool Brands

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WildBill, Feb 10, 2014.

1. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Some companies can make one tool great, and another that stinks. Over the decades, I've come to particularly like certain brands for certain tools. Here are my favorites, what are yours?

Router- Porter Cable
    Table Saw- Grizzly
    Jointer- Jet
    Drill Press- Rigid
    Thickness planer- Delta
    Dust collection- Jet
    Band Saw- Rockwell/Delta
    Shaper- Grizzly
    Jigsaw- Freud

-Wild Bill

2. Jack739

Jack739 Gun-'Slinger'

Well, i dont have so much experience with power tools but until now I could use a drill grinder either from the brands proxxon and dremel and I love the dremel! It´s like a lightsaber for wood! :D Otherwise I´m a firm buyer and user of Bosch gear, I was allowed to work with tools from this brand since i was a small boy!
    I would say my list looks like this, depending on my Level of experience and the gear i own and use:

Drill Grinder - Dremel
    Drill - Bosch
    Band/Scroll Saw - Proxxon
    Jigsaw - Bosch
    Angle Grinder -Bosch :eek:

3. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

this could be an interesting thread WildBill, its cool to see the diversity of others workshops.
    I dont have much in the way of tools since I no longer have a real workshop (currently working out of a spare room)
    this is what I have and use
    Cordless tools - DeWalt (Drill, Impact Driver, Circular Saw, Angle grinder and Reciprocating Saw) Black & Decker (mini reciprocating saw, cordless screwdriver)
    BandSaw- Rockwell hobby bandsaw
    Sander- Rockwell 350W Belt/Disc Sander
    Rotary Tool- Dremel Classic
    Micro Router- Dremel Trio

what I would like to add to this collection would be

Drill Press- no preference
    Scroll Saw- Einhall or Ryobi
    Linisher- something like a Delta Shopmaster SA150 1" Belt (hard to find down under it seems)

4. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

If you want good stuff in Brazil....only a few choices.....makita, makita, makita.....somtimes dewalt, but they don't hahave all of their tools here, and black and decker sometimes...

5. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Here's some of my preferences.
    Drill press-older delta
    Scrollsaw-delta
    Anything cordless-dewalt
    Reciprocating saw-Milwaukee(obviously)
    Circular saw-skill(obviously)
    Drill motor-Milwaukee,dewalt
    Palm Sander-Makita
    Oscillating spindle/belt sander-rigid(based on bang for the buck)
    Anything that's a legit older brand made when people showed pride in their work.

6. WildBill

Yeah, Makita does make a good palm sander. My 12" compound miter is Dewalt while my 10" is Makita. I can't say that I'm particularly fond of either one. With miter saws, they're only as good and accurate as the blade is and the blades are very high-dollar Freuds. They are both reasonably accurate saws but the frames are cumbersome and I had to do a lot of jigging to make them usable with long stock.

-Wild Bill

7. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I have used milwaukee, porter-cable, makita, metabo, skil, black and decker, Thor, greenlee, hilti, AEG, bosch , foredom, and dewalt over the years.

They all work pretty well.

8. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

I would usually tend to go for Bosch Industrial. The standard of manufacture is very high. Unfortunately I have twice gone to buy such an item, (once a router and once a drill) and come home with Black and Decker (yuk). This illustrates the dangers inherent in shopping whilst very stoned ! :(

9. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I used to do construction plumbing, and the hands on favorite for power tools was Milwaukee.

Drills, sawsalls, could be used and abused to the point they were hardly recognizable as a power tool. And with a little love, some new bearings, brushes, next week they'd be back on the job working again.

For lighter stuff I have a Chicago Electric 4" angle grinder from Harbor Freight that is going strong for 17 years now. It does everything I ask it to do and just keeps on keeping on.

As to Dremel, I have one, but when I needed to replace mine I picked the cheap 17$ replacement from Harbor Freight over the 80$ name brand.

Guess what, it too is a chicago electric and it purrs like a kitten. Designed slightly different, a bit beefier feel to it, and on/off switch is seperate from the speed control. After 3 months of use I like it better, I'll never go back to dremel.

For engines (the Ultimate power tool) you can't beat Briggs and Stratton.

10. dutch_slingshot

dutch_slingshot Just a Dutch guy

drill, makita
    jigsaw, black and decker
    scroll saw, dewalt, skil
    circular saw, black and decker
    i mostly use black and decker and dewalt!

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Interesting thread. My home workshop is typically populated with what I could/can afford at the time. Since I don't do enough work at home to justify paying a premium for all of my tools, it typically depends on what is on sale. That said, I do have some preferences:

* Roto-hammer, reciprocating saw, hole-hawg: Milwaukee (mostly in my work as an electrician rather than at home)
    * Circular Saw: Skil (I've had mine for over 20 years and still going strong)
    * Cordless Tools (drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw): DeWalt
    * Rotary Tool: Dremel or Black and Decker
    * Router: Craftsman (mine is over 20 years old)
    * Drill Press: Craftsman
    * Compound Miter Saw: Craftsman
    * Palm Sander: Black and Decker
    * Compressor: Craftsman
    * Shop Vacuum: Shop Vac
    * Band Saw: PowerTec (new, seems to work very well)
    * Scroll Saw: ????

12. WildBill

That's a lot of Craftsman, E. In my shop, the router is king and I found Craftsman routers to be bulky and lacking power. Also, most of them I've seen either do not have interchangeable collets or, if they do, it's a PITA to make the change.

On the other hand, I've had old Craftsman table saws in the past and found them to be solid and reliable.

-Wild Bill

13. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

my favorite power tool is the only one I have lol ! a DE WALT angle grinder, seems to be reliable and fast eating hard wood he he ...
    cheers

14. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Gotta love a dewalt angle grinder! Things are beasts. On the vac front, I have a newer craftsman I use for dust collection, it's as strong as any shop vac I've used. A contractor I worked for back in the day had a porter cable router, it was quite nice.

15. zwillie

zwillie New Member

Hi,
    for me in Germany:

Fein = metal
    Hilti = stone
    Festool/Maffel = wood
    Makita = accu screw driver

...but I love to use old handtools.
    Zwillie

16. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Why you hatin' on my Craftsman tools Bill? Yeah, I know they're not the best, but I have yet to have one fail me. As for the router, my dad gave it to me, and any power tool I get for free gets a vote in my book, as long as it works. I haven't checked to see if it has interchangeable collets or not, it's never come up in my use of the thing.

17. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Great thread.

My favorites are the ones that are working at the moment. Before I learned how to refuse free objects of great potential quite a few showed up in various stages of decrepitude.

+1 on the everything Milwallkee makes, especially angle grinders. The DeWalts would put up with heavy abuse (bondo dust environment) and keep going strong too.
    My at home angle grinder is Harbor Freight Chicago Electric almost as old as Buckshot's--going strong:D

Love my Porter Cable router (in table) and even more their random orbit palm sander(probably from the nineties). Smoother a bit to hold than the same power DeWalt.

Old Craftsman circular saw and handheld beltsander. These must be unstopabale, must be almost as old as me.

No name Chinese drill press that simulates an ocillating spindle sander mostly anymore.

Lots of finer tools in the world, but I'm thankfull to have them. Next will be a heated space to use them in....

18. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Unless you use a tool frequently or professionally, I find whatever's cheapest to be good enough for occasional use.

19. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I suppose the bright orange plastics would help that decision when Inhebriated!
    better a black and decker though than some of the fluro green 'ROK' tools or 'WORX', the exception to that rul though in my mind is HITACHI, they look cheap but they are solid tools

20. WildBill

Hey! Was I hatin' on the table saw?

Interchangeable collets comes up when you use a router a LOT and have bits that use 1/4, 1/2 or even 3/4 shafts. Most routers don't go to 3/4- that is typically reserved for shapers, but when I use my router(s) changing collets happens alot. My Freud has a 'single tool' change system. It works, but it is also a plunge router and I find that the extra locking system reduces the overall throw of the plunge. My 'old faithful' Porter Cable model 600 needs two wrenches to remove the collet but it doesn't really take any longer to do than the Freud.

I've purchased some Ryobi stuff but have not had a good experience. My tools get a lot of use and Ryobi motors just don't last under 'semi-professional' or above kind of abuse. They phase lock after a hundred hours or so, or if running for more than 3 hours in a stretch.

I had a little Hitachi orbital sander some years ago and it was a nice little workhorse with a great design. I lost the thing on a job site and replaced it with a Makita. It's not as well designed as that Hitachi but it's just as reliable.

-Wild Bill