Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
<O:p</O:p
what kind of eye/face protection do you use @shooting time?<O:p</O:p
Thinking about something like this:<O:p</O:p
www.amazon.com/Uvex-S8510-Polycarbonate-Anti-Fog-Hardcoat/dp/B001VY3ACE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415037469&sr=8-1&keywords=bionic+eye+shield<O:p></O:p>
or this:<O:p</O:p
www.amazon.de/Gesichtsschutz-BIONIC-Visier-SPERIAN-PROTECTION/dp/B004U6GUL8/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0<O:p></O:p>
a little too excessive?

This is also an option:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455353687&pf_rd_i=301128

<O:p</O:pCheers<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Might be a bad idea, but i use no protection while shooting, only if shooting at hard boards

Slingshots forever.

·
Suspended User
260 Posts
I usually wear this;

I don't wear eye or face protection, I'm just careful.

·
Loudest boom on Earth
1,287 Posts
Lmao the bionic visors are overkill a bit, but if you like the look why not, go or the .com one, it has the proper standards for slingshots. Ansi 78.1 or EAN 166 type B is the minimum, Ansi 78.1+ and EAN 166 type A is the best protection.

·
aka Whitehawk!
4,700 Posts
Yep, +1 on the recommendation for properly rated safety glasses - that's #1 in my book. Face shields are probably more than you need unless you experience RTS shots on a regular basis. The other item you may want is a mechanic's glove on the hand that holds the slingshot, just in case you get a hand strike. I've not had one in quite a while, so unless I am testing a new band/ammo setup, I usually go with a naked hand :eek: That and my proper set of safety glasses is usually enough.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think when you shoot carefully and don´t try dangerous things like twisting the pouch several times or something like that, this is a bit extreme. Are you afraid of an RTS or the snapping bands?

·
Mad Scientist
999 Posts
I use Uvex type 9161 protective goggles, they fit nicely over my glasses. I always found face shields to be a bit cumbersome, and they can fog up more easily than goggles.

·
Premium Member
3,609 Posts
the thing looks awful and advertisement say suitable for "Secondary protection", don't rely on that, maybe something like safety glasses could be better ... anyway not all polycarbonate protection are the same, I managed to smash one of these that couldn't withstand a 10mm steel ball in butterfly, maybe this were crappy "safety glasses" ... and if you plan to use a long draw (past your face) I would not recommend to use nothing over your face that could tangle with the bands/pouch, I had a scary incident when I was learning butterfly, since then no more safety glasses here ...
avoid RTS using good pouches and restraint force to not go beyond your release hand/finger strength ... I know I am doing a "political incorrect" statement ... just my point of view
Arturo

·
Administrator
10,889 Posts
Simple safety glasses.

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
I've got that face shield. Great in the metal shop but probably be annoying as helll for shooting. Regular safety glasses are fine. Uvex is a good brand. You can get ballistic glasses as well. Ultimately, almost anything it better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
Eye protection? How racist! What's protecting the targets?!?

-Wild Bill

·
SINdustrial designer
566 Posts
the thing looks awful and advertisement say suitable for "Secondary protection", don't rely on that, maybe something like safety glasses could be better ... anyway not all polycarbonate protection are the same, I managed to smash one of these that couldn't withstand a 10mm steel ball in butterfly, maybe this were crappy "safety glasses" ... and if you plan to use a long draw (past your face) I would not recommend to use nothing over your face that could tangle with the bands/pouch, I had a scary incident when I was learning butterfly, since then no more safety glasses here ...
avoid RTS using good pouches and restraint force to not go beyond your release hand/finger strength ... I know I am doing a "political incorrect" statement ... just my point of view
Arturo
Totally agree with Arturo in the butterfly case. It can be quite tricky if you're drawing next to cheek.

My simple advice in points:

Buy a cheap but working eye protection first. Personally I really dislike buying glasses online. If you can go into a shop you can try few models to see what fits to you.

- make sure it fulfills the requirements
- make sure it doesn't cover your peripheral vision
- doesn't slip off
- makes no distortion
- if it's nice that's cool but don't judge by that

Yup, and don't forget to avoid fear in shooting. Fear and anxiety ruins your aiming. Practice with low power and small distance until you feel yourself comfortable with that.

Later on you can buy an ubercool glass if needed. I'm shooting in different shades like clear, yellow and heavy shade. Depending on the situation and mood :)

Welcome and have fun!

Tremo

·
Premium Member
3,609 Posts
Hey Arturo,

can we learn something about your "scary incident"?
Tell us more.
my sight was a bit obstructed (at least I felt that) and bent a bit more my neck, the ball razed right eye's orbit and entered the safety glasses hitting the thing inside in front my eye, fortunately the ball ricocheted outside and the safety glass twisted and slapped hard over my nose, mouth and left cheek ... since then no more eye protection ...
Arturo

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
... the ball razed right eye's orbit and entered the safety glasses hitting the thing inside in front my eye, fortunately the ball ricocheted outside and the safety glass twisted and slapped hard over my nose, mouth and left cheek ... Arturo
Ouch - a blessing in disguise.<O:p</O:p
Thanks for explaining.
Now we'll try to avoid this.<O:p</O:p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts