Excersize Bands (flat band material)

Discussion in 'Trader's corner' started by itronix, Jan 30, 2014.

1. itronix

itronix Grumpy Old Man

I know Theraband seems to be the most popular material for Joerg and many others. I have had good luck with green exercise band material from the local Walmart. As a kid we used inner tube with little success.

What other commonly available materials have you personally used?

itronix

2. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

Oh I have used thick rubber bands for boxes a lot of normal rubber bands surgical tubes and some bike tires.

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

The green bands from Walmart seem pretty popular here. There is also regular latex which you can purchase in large strips like Theraband. Size 107 rubber bands (good quality ones) are also a good rubber source as well - I've used them myself, but I do prefer Theraband whenever possible.

4. nijam

nijam tiro loco

I have used long balloons like the ones used for making balloon animals that are stronger than someone imagine

5. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Green bands from Walmart, are these the "Gold's Gym" band for 8 bucks?

6. FilthyRusty

FilthyRusty New Member

lol when i was around 8 me and a couple others tried using condoms as a source of bands they actually worked ok but not fun to tie to the slingshot

7. Pegg696

Pegg696 Token cripple

This spring my son and I are making the large water balloon launchers with those large green band. Should work well... This is the one. And the only reason we are is because this site gave me the hint and this thread gave me the push. Thanks guys

Attached Files:

8. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I have a box of the "Golds Gym Green" which I got at walmart. 7$ for 6 feet of 6" width rubber.

Personally I've been extremely happy with it. No I have not spent the money for theraband gold to compare it to, yet.

But it seems to have good resistance and stands up well. A 2" wide band throwing 11mm lead balls hits HARD.

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I see your problem, you're supposed to use the ones that haven't been used yet - much easier to keep the knots from slipping.

10. itronix

itronix Grumpy Old Man

11. itronix

itronix Grumpy Old Man

Yes

12. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

BOOM - there goes my appetite for the rest of the evening!

13. FilthyRusty

FilthyRusty New Member

haha yeah that could have been the problem lol no it was the fact that we were 8 and the idea of playing condoms just seemed strange(but for some reason the clinic just gave us loads of them after a surreal safe sex talk) :eek:

14. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

My source of Theraband Gold is only $10 for a six foot roll, with free shipping if I order $25 or more.(On Amazon--LB Chiro and Med store)

Just a fraction more per foot. Good to know I can hit up wallyworld for a shooting fix if I'm waiting on UPS for TBG.:D

15. FilthyRusty

FilthyRusty New Member

16. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I happened to be at Walmart today, so I grabbed some Gold's green.

Now if I can find some time to get that birchply board made into some slingshots.

17. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

I hear it is the same thickness as theraband silver. But nearly halve the cost!

18. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

For some reason I prefer McMaster-Carr latex over Theraband. My last order was a piece 1'X42" .030 for $13.78 and a 3' X6" .030 for $6.75 and about $6.00 shipping.

19. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I ran across a large loop (6 feet in diameter) of 1 inch wide blue stuff, and it was ribbed. I still have it, but have no idea where it came from. It seems to be, due to the ribbing, too thick for a standard SS, but might be good for a slingbow or a rubber-based contraption.

-Wild Bill