Eucalyptus Side Shooter

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Obl1v1Aus, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Hi guys,
    another slingshot finished for my holidays, another week and a bit left of holidays left of holidays!

On to the slingshot, a basic shooter designed to be shot 'gangster style' as the curve of the fork fit quite naturally.
    Rounded the handle off and left the kick out from a lower branch as part of it to give my palm somewhere to rest
    Sanded up to 600 grit, treated with BLO and beeswax / carnauba blend

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Great work!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

3. RAWICE

RAWICE New Member

Good job do you live in Australia like me if so what part?

4. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

True Blue, Dinky-Di Aussie here. South Australian born and bred

5. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Great shooter! You don't see a lot of natural sideways slingshots, so this is really cool stuff!

6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Great work Obl1v1Aus - that's a nice piece of wood you've got there. I like the finish, smooth, simple, let the wood speak for itself.

7. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

8. RAWICE

RAWICE New Member

Haha I live in Western Australia it's nice to know some other Aussies are out making some good slingshots!!

9. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

10. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Nice grown fork and a good job.

11. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Thanks Will, my biggest inspiration for the sideshooter was the fact that one of the fork limbs had suffered some damage and the heartwood was exposed while it was still growing, that piece was very brittle and snapped off while doing the initial shaping.

Thanks Withak, glad you like the finish. I'm not overly fond of how the super slick shiny finishs feel to hold, so I stick to a basic furniture wax and polish after oiling.

Thanks very much AngelicScars, Jeremy and Slingpit!

12. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

It looks good, and I like the grain/knot character. Of course, a koala is gonna go hungry now as a result...

-Wild Bill

13. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Thanks WildBill, photos don't do the grain justice, my phones camera is seriously lacking for the job.
    thankfully I don't have to feel guilt over a starving koala as we don't get them in my part of Australia, too hot and the eucalypts are spread out too far.

14. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Eucalyptus grows rampant in Southern California, so I'm very familiar with how it grains up. I didn't think it would work well for a slingy, as it is somewhat soft plus oily. But hey, if you pulled it off, go you! And by the way- did you know that the official Jewish tree is youclippedus?

-Wild Bill

15. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Most of the species of eucalyptus here are quite strong woods, not as oily as other species, they are more resinous and very hardy as a result

16. PaulPawx3

PaulPawx3 Member

I don't live down under, but I do like your shooter and Vegemite. Good work :)

17. dolomite

dolomite Banned

That's a sweet shoota! I love sideway natties, nature knows best!

18. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Very nice I love the writing

J