Eucalyptus natural fork

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Obl1v1Aus, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Making naturals is still way outside of my comfort zone but I had so much fun making a natural for flicks as part of the X-Mas trade I've been focusing on them lately and its really help me expand my woodworking skills (plus its loads of fun)

I had this awesome fork in a collection of forks I harvested a few weeks back.
    I was really keen to make something out of this fork in particular as the shape of it was so perfect.

The fork itself is a surprisingly symmetrical 'Y' shape and the fork tips bend forward about 40 degrees at the centre of the y.
    I did minimal shaping, I had to cut a branch base off of the handle so I chose to make a bulb pommel instead of making the handle straight.

The whole slingshot is sanded up to 600 grit and then had 6 coats of BLO, followed by a wax treatment.
    I haven't had a chance to band it up yet, but hopefully will get a chance on the weekend.
    Im really happy with the way this one turned out, its very comfortable in the hand, and the BLO brought out some beautiful qualities in the grain, but I'll let you guys judge for yourselves
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Great job! You found a really good fork and turned it into an excellent shooter!
    The eucalyptus grain came out very nicely, plus, I bet it smelled good during the carving/shaping process

3. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I like it, but be careful. I remember someone saying eucalyptus wood is not to be trusted. I could be wrong but be safe!
    And I like your makers mark, very cleanly burnt in. How'd you do it?

4. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

@Will.. Yes it smelled fantastic while shaping, thanks for the kind words.

@Kohlqez.. I appreciate the concern, I vice test all my slings to make sure. Most Australian native eucalypts are very strong woods. This eucalyptus in particular is a very strong specimen.
    The makers mark was burned in with a gas fuelled soldering iron and a chisel tip, Took a couple goes on a scrap piece to get it right but it turned out quite clean.

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nice work on that fork Obl1v1Aus! That's a great natural specimen. The wide forks are something I've not come across in the naturals I've found so far. It reminds me of the kind of fork width you'd find on a MoorHammer. The finish looks great too. Very nice bud.

6. LW

LW New Member

Nice fork, nice shaping, nice grain, no criticism from my side.

Enjoy the shooting!

7. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Thanks Withak, my first thought was moorhammer, but i decided to let the fork determine its shape. I suppose sometimes you decide how it ends up and sometimes the wood decides how it ends up!

8. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Good find and nice work.

9. codido187

codido187 New Member

Beautiful fork may I say that it is darn near perfect I can ne'er find forks like that in my neck of the desert lol

10. Skorps

Skorps Senior Member

Intresting fork! (Becouse the forward touch) nice handwork too! Thanks for share

11. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Good job!
    Lovely shooter!