Epoxy Vs Wood Glue

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by jnmbhj, Feb 2, 2014.

1. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

I am making my first slingshot (RamBone) and I don't know what to use.
    I currently have wood glue but I am not sure if the wood glue is strong enough.
    I heard that epoxy is much better but My friends said that you need screws to hold the 3 pieces of wood together or else it will come apart.

So can someone clarify this for me?

Which is better wood glue or epoxy or screws?

2. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Joergs how-to video uses epoxy and no screws and he designed it, so..............

3. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

With wood glue I would want a dowel, pin, or screw to make sure.

With Epoxy, I have glued 2 pieces together, cured, and locked the piece in a vice and pulled to where it broke. It broke "close" to the glue joint but not at it.

With Epoxy done correctly I would not be afraid of it breaking at all.

4. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

I use wood glue because its cheaper, titebond 3 wood glue is the best. I've tested it, the wood broke but the glue joint stayed and never came apart. Epoxy is overkill, I only use it to bond wood to metal. Hope this helped

Eat, Sleep, Slingshots

5. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

I haven't done any "proper" tests, but I would choose epoxy over wood glue any day.

6. tivo532

tivo532 Junior Member

I always think that it should not be an issue but I may be wrong. If you are gripping them together while shooting why would they break apart?

7. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Oh hell...I was hoping this topic wouldn't come up any time soon. You might as well talk politics!
    I like epoxy.

8. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Epoxy vs wood glue? Well wood glue would beat epoxy's ass if it's a Wood to wood connection as wood glue has a nasty left hook and a stiff uppercut. When metal gets involved, wood glue's got a glass jaw that's to brittle and epoxy's vicious right forehand can deliver a knockout blow.

9. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

Epoxy cures whereas wood glue dries. Wood glue can't dry through metal thats why it only works with wood. When you laminate a slingshot the glue is only there to support the shear stress between the layers. That stress is not very large and the bigger the area the better it will hold up. So you can use wood glue or epoxy. Epoxy gives a better bond but is also more expensive, very messy, smelly and potentially unhealthy. So I would use wood glue.

10. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

This question always causes arguments.
    I prefer Ponal(Woodglue) for wood-to-wood conections, bcs it soaks into the wood.
    Epoxy is also very vulnerable to any oil on the wood.
    As far as my experience goes, there is no big difference in strength, and since the layers of a rambone don't have to withstand any major force, I'd choose the cheaper woodglue.

Anyway, epoxy sticks to nearly everything, so in doubt, choose epoxy.

11. Alukuchen

Alukuchen Senior Member

I guess you shouldn't have a problem with either of both :)

12. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I use the cheap wood glue from HF and never had a separation. If I am sticking together odd parts or want it sooner, I use a 5 minute epoxy. Still good there too. But I have no experience in gluing wood to metal. That is why i refer people to Nathans vid on bonding dissimilar materials.

13. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Just right!- the (both) glue´s cohesion is far higher than that of wood.

On the other hand, the forces deriving from wood plus water will let the
    wood swell. The resulting shearing forces are way more than any glue
    can handle.. Parts MUST come apart!

Very expensive violins e.g. are made with glue made from bones;
    this glue acts similar to wood, concerning temperature and moisture..

And: Hey! this is serious business, one needs to know how to treat
    materials and how construction (logically) has to be done to cope
    with facts, such as wood constantly changing size according to
    climate conditions.. (looking at e.g. old tables made from massive wood)

regards to everyone,

Be

P.s.: THIS is it in simple words!:

thanks for that one Dolo!- this goes to the book of woodworking..

14. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

When in doubt, epoxy the hell outta it!
    Epoxy is always better than wood glue if you use wood glue you need screws too. If you use good epoxy and roughen the surfaces first, than the wood will break before the epoxy comes apart.

15. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I've never used epoxy on wood- but then, I've never glued wood to metal and such. Tightbond III has treated me well for decades.

-Wild Bill

16. RegulusRubber

RegulusRubber Junior Member

I would suggest to make a simple test. Take two little pieces of wood. Multiplex Plywood for example and glue them together like in the picture. Let it completely harden and then try to break it. Put it in a vise and break it.
    You will see what is stronger.
    Once when I made this test wood glue convinced me.

Attached Files:

17. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

This is exactly what I did. The layer of multiplex broke and the was still stuck to the second piece, titebond 3 is my go to for wood to wood, but as I said for metal to wood, u have to use epoxy.

Eat, Sleep, Slingshots

18. nijam

nijam tiro loco

I am a carpenter and I know that the wood glue is strong enough to support the weight of an adult man hanging from a piece of wood which is glued to another piece attached to the ceiling

19. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Who told you this rubbish? Wood glue bonds wood better than anything, even screws. Every endcap, palmswell, and veneer I've ever done is with titebond unless metal is involved. Epoxy on wood to wood connections is weak. Wood breaks before wood glue every time unless glue is improperly used, ex. clamping too tightly as to squeeze glue out or only applying glue to one side. Screws are for fences and decks imho.

20. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

The one thing that screws do is to stay in place; They won´t
    carry any load as long as glue compensates for the shearing forces.
    Screws have nothing to do as long as the glued connection is
    intact. imho Dolo is perfectly right.

Be