Enclosed Paintball slingshot

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by Odins_Zornn, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

Dear inventors and the big man himself,
    I am currently in the planning phase of designing an enclosed pump action paintball slingshot with four rollers. If you think this is a good idea and would like to contribute; i would appreciate your advice and guidance.

This is to be a legal paintball gun in the USA, so it has to be within legal limitation. It will also be bottom clip fed. More info and design blueprints are on the way.

Once again, thank you all.

2. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

don't know where you will put the four rollers but you got my interest! :D

if you have already made sketches feel free to show us.

3. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

I will be posting images from google skechup once i get back to my computer.

4. Schultz

Schultz New Member

I´am not sure, if you need so much Power for very lightweight Paintballs. But I´am looking forward for the Files and the Finished Slingshot ;)
    Maybe you can use Jörg his Hexnut Gun as Inspiration, but with Pumpaction Slingshot´s I´m not very experience :mad:

5. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

I don't know how to attach a simple photo... wow.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  6. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

7. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I am looking forward to this! I have never actually played paintball, but I have used paintballs fired from slingshots and air cannons to cause mischief in my neighborhood at a much younger age, of course:D!
    I am excited to see what you have drawn!

8. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

Thanks for the link and here is the basic framework:

The blue is leather, the gold is rubber, the red are rollers, and the rest is steal or aluminum framework and sled. The front is the left side; and no, the rubber does not collide with itself.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  9. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

Now keep in mind that this is only the frame for the track/sled and rubber. The trigger, clip, track, stopper, stalk, and locking mechanism still have to be added.

10. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

I need to change the placement of the rubber's anchor to make room for the track.

11. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Sounds exciting!

Although my biggest advice would be to skip the rollers! I can only see all the trouble they might cause; Decreased bandlife, bands and rollers jamming, etc etc. If you want a good repeating crossbow, try a proven concept: Joergs Hex-Nut Pumpgun. Joerg have a great tutorial on how to make it, and I have a tutorial on how to make it :) It might be a bit tricky to make it shoot balls, though... Otherwise you can check out this video, from a YouTube-channel called KyleEngineers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89H0qS3iQQc

Good luck! [​IMG]

12. Otees

Otees Another Member

Looks cool, good job!!

13. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

the rollers only make sense if the weapon would otherwise be too short to accelerate the ball to a reasonable speed.

biggest challenge will be that the paintball doesn't burst until it hits the target. that's what the sled is for, right? in this case the sled needs a stopper to not damage the weapon or follow the paintball.

14. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

To failuresalwaysanoption: I thought that if the rollers were done properly, the band life would be increased. That was just a theory of mine and i will gladly accept proof to the contrary. As far as the rollers are concerned, jamming is impossible as long as two conditions are met:
    1) the roller is concave so it looks like this: )(
    2) if the band has just barely no slack when it is not locked and loaded, the band can not fall off from the sudden recoil of being fired.

15. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

To MaddyMax:
    The sled does have a stopper but its impossible to see with this picture. And again my theory that if stronger bands are used but pulled less (per square cm) then it would last longer.

16. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I would think that the sled would be unnecessary. The paintballs I've experienced have had very tough shells. Even throwing one by hand against a brick wall only yields about 50% burst rate. I think they would be just fine propelled by a pouch and no sled.

17. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

The sled and track is half for clean loading and half for accuracy. Having a sled is what makes the reload method i have in mind work.

18. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

However, you are correct that a paintball does not need particularly delicate handling or firing.

19. Snader76

Snader76 Dysfunctional Member

I don't know if u watched this video...
    [ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=PQcLkWvv5bw[/ame]

20. Odins_Zornn

Odins_Zornn Noob

That is just badass.
    The firing mechanism i will use is a similar front loading one, but without the advantage of magnets.

Thanks for sharing this bit of modern art with me.