EcoSlinging

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by ruthiexxxx, Oct 14, 2013.

1. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Seed bombs are becoming rather popular with those who are environmentally conscious. It occurred to me that a slingshot could chuck these things much further than they could be thrown, thus being able to reach places that are difficult to access. This is particularly useful here in the mountains.

There was a workshop for making these here this weekend and I donated a slingshot (and lessons) as a prize for the best seedbombs made.

As these are not very heavy it seemed appropriate to go for single .03 latex for a very easy draw and an oversize kangaroo leather pouch.

There has been a lot of interest in the possibilities and I hope to be making some more. They don't have to be very fancy so I can afford to donate them. I'm not a gardener but it looks like a way to make a contribution and I shall enjoy teaching their use.

http://www.guerrillagardening.org/ggseedbombs.html

2. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I would certainly donate a slingshot for this!! Nice, Ruthie!

3. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

i know of seed bombs but never heard about shooting them around with the sling....

i like it... shooting to rebuild in stead off shooting to destroy.... nice

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

The only seed bomb I have ever used is throwing pomegranates at people/objects in my youth. Extremely satisfying, by the way.

5. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Thats wasteful will, unethical to kill a pomegranate! You should post pics in the silly ego trip hunting hater thread;).

6. EyAlter

EyAlter New Member

Is that an effective method to get pregnant too?

7. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

makes me miss the old pomegranate tree from my childhood, My sister and I used to play cricket with them. man did they make a mess but theres nothing quite like a pomegranate explosion!

8. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Ha! Glad to see other people have good memories! I'm going to have to buy a few and have a throw, for old times sake:D

9. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

I don't think I've heard about this, but I love the idea!

10. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Must be the first time I heard about a constructive bomb.

Very cool stuff.

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Very interesting concept. This would be a fun way to spread wildflowers.

12. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Great idea! Gonna have to try that with sunflowers, it seems that they can grow everywhere and don' t need to be planted deep in the ground.

13. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Let us NOT spread invasive species. 'K?

14. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

except of course in instances where GMO crops are being grown :)

15. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Hon! Can't worry about that shirt. They have been jacking with our food since Burbank.

16. Peterburban

Peterburban New Member

weapons of mass creation :)

17. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

No worries...the rest of the world is sorting out Monsanto. They might buy off the FDA and corrupt the USA government but they can't buy off everyone.

I think their frankenseeds are banned here but if not guess who'll be training hippies to shoot slingshots ?! :D

18. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Thanks for that ...I just love it. And a great slogan for seedbomb slinging. I think this could take off.

19. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

a little guidance from the guerilla gardening people on Facebook

"

Make your own seed bombs...........
    I used these seeds collected from my garden, rudbeckia - pink achillea - scabious, tall verbena - echinacea better to use seeds that germinate easily.

2 parts powdered clay, one part compost and a hand full of seeds. Mix thoroughly then add water until you can form into a ball. Leave to dry for 24 hours.

The clay is there to protect seeds from being eaten, especially by birds. Birds won't eat things covered with clay or clay dust.

The seed bombs shouldn't break open. In fact they should stay relatively intact even after they have been wet by rain a few times. That way the seeds stay protected and moist. When the seeds germinate, they will break through the clay.

The seeds don't need water right away. They will stay dormant until rain comes. If the seeds are the right for the area, then they will do fine. Of course, not every single seed will sprout.

Bombs away!

[​IMG]

<form rel="async" class="live_327090874097959_316526391751760 commentable_item autoexpand_mode" method="post" action="/ajax/ufi/modify.php" data-live="{&quot;seq&quot;:327518540721859}" id="u_jsonp_6_i">
    </form>