Early Morning Project

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by flyingdog, Nov 16, 2013.

1. flyingdog

flyingdog New Member

I start my day early. I mean like 1 or 2 a.m.. Don't know why...just do. So...what does a person do at these ungodly hours? Drink coffee, vacuum floors, water the lawn....and build slingshots. This particular morning I was staring at a piece of composite deck board I had left over from a porch I built last spring. Grabbed the jigsaw and dremel and in a few hours churned out a couple slingshots. Crude, but highly functional. Besides being bulletproof.

Attached Files:

2. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

I've been there, when the doctors tried to put my on thyroid meds I went from getting 8-9 hours of sleep to 1-3 hours. Leaving me as you say at 1-2 am wide awake.

Nice looking shooters those!

3. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

Great looking piece and excellent use of freebie leftover materials. Probably shouldn’t warp too bad if exposed to wet weather, either (ha, ha)…

Edit… Excellent pix, too.

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Those turned out really great! I hadn't thought about using composite decking material. I imagine it would be nice and sturdy. Nice work!

5. Otees

Otees Another Member

Nice! It really isn't that crude.

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Very nice looking.

7. Drew_Bilbrey

Drew_Bilbrey Drew Bilbrey

Very cool idea! Haven't thought of that.

8. Can-Opener

Can-Opener New Member

They came out great. Have fun with them.

9. flyingdog

flyingdog New Member

Thanks for the compliments. It's 2:30, just came in from the garage with this. Toying with the idea of gluing a chuck of the cut-off scrape on the handle to form more of a palm swell. Wants to tip a tad with heavier bands. Been also piddl'n with various pouches. Winter weather is creep'n in round here. And....anyone plagued with arthritis knows..cold weather and crappy joints don't play well together. That extra little pouch tab really helps secure a good pull without the wrists or thumb joints screaming back: Hey!! "What the Hell-ya-Do'n?". :eek::D

Attached Files:

10. Skorps

Skorps Senior Member

intresting pouch design does it works good!?

11. Skorps

Skorps Senior Member

Bye the way nice SS too!! :eek: :D

12. flyingdog

flyingdog New Member

For me, I think this pouch works excellent. Overhanded, underhanded, between 1st & 2nd, 2nd & 3rd finger, pinch the ammo, squeeze the pouch..really doesn't seem it matters how you grip. The little tab (aka: trigger) seems to find a ledge on the hand to hook onto and ease the force needed for the pinch. Which works ideally for me, cuz the thumb joints is what gives me fits during these cold spells.

Oh yea...the stiffer the leather, the better it works.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  13. knivesgotguns

knivesgotguns New Member

I always wondered about that material... now we know. Nice ss. Have you tried to heat it up with a flame to change the finish on it?

14. flyingdog

flyingdog New Member

You know, that's very interesting. I'll check it out. Being an advid modeler for ions, I've worked with all sorts of wood, glues, fiber glass, epoxy, kevlar, carbon fiber, metals, etc etc etc. And...you got to be right. Cuz, in my other hobby, if you miscalulate a build or repair, you can end up with a 2k$ contribution to the local landfill. Would be very interesting to know the actual make up of that material.

15. LW

LW New Member

This Pouch design will definitely generate speed bumps. Of course you can hit the Target with speed bumps, but you get more accurate and more consistent results when the ammunition is clamped between the leather and your fingers.

A too stiff leather can cause terrible hand slaps, a stable soft leather in my opinion is the best choice.
    But do not be discouraged, perhaps you have had other experiences.

Your approaches are interesting.

16. flyingdog

flyingdog New Member

knivesgotguns:

Lot of info out there about plastic wood stuffs. More than I care to know atm. lol Some with actual wood particles. Lot of it isn't too much different than pvc. Specially the heavier sch 40. I have yet to take a torch to the stuff. I'm sure it would stink to high-heaven.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  17. flyingdog

flyingdog New Member

LW....

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  18. LW

LW New Member

19. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

Interesting idea!

Maybe a comparison is needed to underline it. I have doubts because of airdrag, slaps and pouch deformation during usage but who knows. The best thing to make is to cut two similar bandsets and closely similar shooters and test for consistency for a few hundred shots. Shoots in row, speed etc.

A new solution or a verified existing is always welcomed!

Nice shooters you made! :)