Duct Tape Pouches

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Zyrazelle, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Zyrazelle

Zyrazelle New Member

Hello all,

I'm going to be making my first slingshot when my rubber arrives but I don't have access to leather to make pouches. I was thinking about layering some Duct Tape to make a pouch. Has anyone tried this? Do the pouches hold up well or would they be rubbish?

2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

i have done it, it basicly works but they are quite slippy, so a good centerhole is a must

3. Zyrazelle

Zyrazelle New Member

Yeah I did realize that they would be slippery but I think a quick fix to that would be to put a Neodymium Magnet in the center of the pouch while making it. It might work I will just have to experiment a bit.

4. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

take care and don't hurt yourself! consider handslaps or band breaking!

5. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

So many sources of old leather, it doesn't need to be virgin scrap to make a sweet pouch.

Mine come from snowboots that served my feet for 15 years. Some guys use old belts, ladies shoes, wallets, or anything really of leather. Later on you will find types you prefer.

Second hand clothing stores can always be counted on too, or ask relatives what they have laying about.

Even cheap work gloves for a dollar a pair will be better than duct tape IMO.

Have lots fun but be safe.

6. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Get a very cheap belt and cut it! There are some ways to creat a pouch with tricot tecchniques too. Or some source of ecological leather that you ca use ( glue layers if it is too thin) . Even nylon bag strap holders can be used to improvise. In my humble opinion, all of this is better than duct tape, wich is too slippery. Putting magnets on it will turn it into a whip for handslaps.

7. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Where do you live Bro? PM me and I can probably send you some.

8. Otees

Otees Another Member

Ive done it, under all the layers I put a patch of an old towel to back it up.

9. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Huh.... A patch of old towl? I'd rather use Jean.

10. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

i am with what slagskimmer mike mentioned. nothing's better than leather.

my first slingshots had pouches from leather shoe tongues and leather belts. though i experimented with denim, woven pouches and duct tape.

now i have two big sheets of black and white kangaroo leather, enough for the next 1000 (?) pouches i will make.

11. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I've made a few duct tape pouches. I like the cheap dollar store tape better than Gorilla Tape or Duck Tape brands. I make the pouch by folding the duct tape in half, then reinforcing the sides with the pouch holes with another fold of duct tape and a couple folds of transparent tape. I make the holes with a paper punch. Doesn't last as long as leather, but it works.

12. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Cut a short length of string(para-cord is best), then make a loop(dont tie just form the string), then wrap with the tape. The string will form the pouch holes the center hole and your done.

13. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I'd be really surprised if you couldn't find an old leather work glove lying about somewhere.

14. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

... or get scrap pieces from a shoemaker/... for free.

15. GritDog

GritDog New Member

Hi, I new to the forum and to slingshots somewhat. I look forward to learning some good techniques and skills on here, and I hope I can return the favor. I have a tip for carying steelshot ammo in a pouch or even loose in your pocket. If you keep a small magnet in the pouch or pocket it will magnetize all the ammo together so they won't slosh around and keeps them from rolling all over.

16. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

hi gritdog! welcome to the forum!

yes, that's a great idea. but unfortunately i have to tell you that i've seen already a couple of shooters using this method. magnet on a string 'round the neck for instance.

in this thread here when speaking of a "pouch", the small leather-piece attached to the rubber bands that shoots the ammo is meant.

17. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Duct tape pouches are good for lightweight slingshots for things like small pebbles, jelly beans, jumbo marshmallows, and other kid friendly ammo. Also handy for faster contracting bands, but not by much.

18. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

is there anything that duct tape cant do?

some times it seems that the best repair kit only needs duct tape and jb weld, and you can fix almost everything