Drying wood

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by 4foruglenncoco, Nov 18, 2013.

1. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

So basically I want to carve a citrus branch before drying it but don't know how, and suggestions?

2. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

probly better to dry it microwave style and then carve in case you crack it up... save u some trouble and time

3. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

i only use fresh wood
    just start carving and at the end of the day if your not finished but you do have the ruff shape of it ill boil the wood in very salt water for a couple of hours
    but it in a bag and continue the next day wit carving
    after carving the sanding and when finished with sanding oil it directly, and oil it once every day for the next two to three days
    now it should be just fine, oil it every couple of months and keep it the first while in a not to hot spot

4. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

I've been working with some citrus forks lately, I carved all mine wet and then microwaved them in short bursts (30 - 40 seconds with a minute between each burst)
    I haven't had a single fork crack on me YET!, its just a matter of time till it does I think but so far its working for me. I've done this with both Lime and Orange wood so far.

5. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

I have learned the hard way. Keep the bark on, and seal the ends with wax. This is my latest failure. I did not even microwave.

Attached Files:

6. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

yep, that sucks :(