DREMEL TRIO- Who uses? Who has it?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Brazilviking, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I've been looking all the time for new tools and equipament to buils slings...I mean, to make home maintainance.....:D
    And this single tool has a promise of cut, sand, shape, route stuff.
    Does anyone has experience with this? Is it good? Is it worth of 100 euros?

Attached Files:

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I haven't had any experience with this tool, but allow me to comment based on my experience with 2 other tools. I own a standard Dremel tool as well as a RotoZip tool. Of course the Dremel tool is a great tool to have around. For small cutting, shaping, grinding, polishing and engraving jobs, it works really well. When I've had to re-grout tile, the grout removal attachment has been a real nice addition. As for the RotoZip, it's kind of like a big Dremel, with far more power. It has the same type of cutting bits that the Dremel Trio uses, so I've had experience cutting materials from drywall to wood to plastic. I can plunge cut the RotoZip into some pretty thick material and not worry about either breaking the bit or bogging the motor down. It does tend to 'walk' a bit due to the power it has, but as long as you have a firm grip, you can keep it under control. My model also has a wheel attachment to allow it to be used as an angle grinder or cutoff wheel. Again, for what it does, it works well.

All that said, I see a few possible problems with this tool. First, the Dremel tools don't exactly have a lot of power. I pulled up a YT video on this model, and while I like the ergonomics, it sounds a bit under-powered if you plan to cut anything more than 1/2" material. I've made the same cuts with my RotoZip that they demonstrated in the video and the RotoZip did the same job in half the time and was never heard to slow down the motor like the Dremel. Second, this tool uses a proprietary 3/16" collet, which means you can't use any of the existing Dremel bits with this - you have to buy bits specially made just for this tool. And apparently there is no adapter available to use with the 'regular' bits. That to me is a big red flag. I've owned enough tools with 'proprietary' parts or gimmicky features in the past that I tend to stay away from them. As for the router bits, considering the power of this tool, I suspect you'd be limited to rather small stock.

As nice as the idea of a 'do it all for you' tool is, I think I'd avoid this one myself. Just my opinion mind you, and not based on direct experience with this tool. I've owned a lot of power tools over the years and I just don't see the appeal of this one for the price. If you don't already have a regular Dremel tool (they are great to have, by the way), and you want to save some money, you can buy Black and Decker's version (assuming you can get that in Brazil) for about half the price of the Dremel - and it uses all the Dremel bits. I own both and I find myself using the Black and Decker more often.

3. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

That's what I love about this forum! Just some minutes and...A great explanation!!!
    Thanx, etr.....Withak!!!!
    I can get most black & decker here.... TYhanks for thinking about that. I go crazy when people recomend some tool (usually from germany that we don't even know how to pronounce the name.

Our usual labels here are:
    Skill, bosh (limited serie), Ferrari, einhell (usually crap), macrotop, black & decker and the very best...Makita (most expensive as well)

4. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Don't see it that nessesary for you. You have a scroll saw and a dremal. So the only feature that it can really give you is th routing. So just get a router.

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

6. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Rockslinger, Actually a scrollsaw is what BV needs as he has only a bandsaw. I'd have to side with E withak, "proprietary" is marketing jargon for piece of isht. BV, I'd just keep saving for that scrollie.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I was doing a little searching on the bay and on craigslist today for a used scroll saw. Not much out there right now. I did find some old Delta models, but they were pretty beat up. Have you looked at the Dremel model? It looks decent, but I notice it's 2 speed, not variable speed. I did find a DeWalt like you suggested, but it was $550. Too right for my blood right now :( I'll keep looking as I'm not in a big hurry to get one.

8. dolomite

dolomite Banned

My delta is a single speed but I'm thinking about hot rodding it with a newer speed control if possible. I've heared bad things about the dremel saws, typical dremel lack of power is the common complaint.

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Okay, I'll stay away, thanks for the heads-up. I know some tools, but scroll saws are completely new to me. You know, I came across a variable speed control box for a router, I wonder if you could attach that to your scroll saw and get the same results? I don't remember where I found it, but you may find one if you search for it online.