Dremel Bit Block

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Ravensbull, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Well, I finally had enough digging through the box trays always looking for the one bit I needed and of course, it was always on the bottom... So, when I drilled this scrap of 2"×4" I used a numbered bit that fit the shanks snug and drilled about 3/4" deep with it. Then went in about 3/8" with an 1/8" bit. That way they slip in easy and hold tight when pushed a little. Way more efficient access to my most used ones. Also, I highly recommend the ventilated/diamond partial disc in the lower right corner, great shaper but also slick for starting band tie grooves shallow before filing. Must be gentle though because it removes material very fast. Hope this helps someone else with their disorganized criteria!

Attached Files:

2. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

That's a great idea!! That disk in the lower right corner indeed is a great tool, I used that one a lot when my dremel was still working

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

3. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Yeah, I love that disc but it's also responsible for finishing off my 9 year old 400 xpr along with the pilot bearing in the head of the flex shaft that had came with it... :(

4. Shamus03

Shamus03 New Member

That looks like a pretty handy way of storing bits. Have you considered staining it to make it look nicer?

5. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

Good tip about the two different sized holes. Really eliminates an irritating problem!!! I never thought of this simple solution.

6. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Maybe eventually... Function before beauty is the general rule of most things around here. I have far to many projects up in the air at this time to be concerned with how pretty it looks now though... It does certainly perform it's purpose flawlessly though!

7. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

This is the same type of block I use at work to hold similar tool bits.

I like the looks of that diamond disc, will it cut metal as well?

8. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

No, it was one of Dremel's solutions for a wood shaper/carver that doesn't wear out like sanding drums. It does leave a very rough finish though, kind of similar to a 24 grit lap disc on a 4-1/2" grinder. I think even touching it to soft aluminum would ruin it pretty fast. I bought it at Home Depot for about 17 or 18 ducketts and it's earned it's keep so far other than causing the failures I mentioned earlier at first. I replaced the 400 xpr with the newer 4000 model from Home Depot, about $70 for the smaller kit version. No regrets so far!